Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have joined the RRRForum and hope to enjoy my membership

I have joined the RRRForum and hope to enjoy my membership

High all,
    Just joined.
    William from the Cathedral city of Lichfield.

Hi and Welcome! What model of Rover do you have?
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

MY Rover is a 2000 Reg P38 V8 4.6 Thor Vogue 4X4 petrol auto and done 95,000 miles.

I have owned it since March 2014 so I am still learning about the Rover. I would like to do some off road driving but not the extreme type.

It looks like the EAS system needs attention now. I suspect the rear Air bags and intend to replace them with Arnott bags before going away to Scotland and do some scenic driving..

I hope I will learn a lot from the more experienced members of this Forum.

Unless you're really sold on the air suspension I'd consider changing it to coils. We have a couple of guys in our club who have P38s, both very well-setup. They were both running the EAS until it just became too troublesome and expensive to keep operational. On a trip to Death Valley several years ago one of them blew an air spring at the start of the trip, on the very first obstacle we came to...and it wasn't really all that much of an obstacle. These were brand new Arnott air springs he'd installed just before the trip. He wound up missing the rest of the trip as he had to drive in home with a block of wood holding up that corner of the truck. He changed to coils shortly thereafter.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

I have joined the RRRForum and hope to enjoy my membership

Thank you for your sensible and practical advice Tiger Dan.

At the moment I am in love with the EAS but I will do a bit of thinking and decide.

As long as it's working okay, most people do like them. It's when things start to fail and the repair bills mount up that a coil conversion looks more attractive. I'd leave it in place till it starts giving you trouble, and then consider your options. They do seem to hold up a better on the street, I think it's offroad use that tends to hurry up the deterioration.
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

Yes. I will enjoy it as long as it lasts on normal roads with the present 20" wheel road tyres. I am not sure when I will start off road driving yet (probably 30% off road & 70% tarmac) and think of what tyres (4) to put on the 18" spare wheels I have. Perhaps some advanced advice on tyres would be appreciated.

You can go down to 16" wheels for more affordable options in tire sizes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430372598.523455.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	30592

I'm running Arnott gen III air springs so far so good no issues but I've yet taken it on obstacles. Only done fire roads. Much improvement on hwy and additional height gained from the gen III design.
    I have familiarized my self with system. Since my spare no longer fits in spare booth I then carry a spare air compressor, valve block and all four stock air bladders in the booth where the spare was located.

Hi Dan this is Abel. This is my other baby my 01 P38.

Quote Originally Posted by WET_DII View Post
    You can go down to 16" wheels for more affordable options in tire sizes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430372598.523455.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	286.5 KB 
ID:	30592

I'm running Arnott gen III air springs so far so good no issues but I've yet taken it on obstacles. Only done fire roads. Much improvement on hwy and additional height gained from the gen III design.
    I have familiarized my self with system. Since my spare no longer fits in spare booth I then carry a spare air compressor, valve block and all four stock air bladders in the booth where the spare was located.

Hi Dan this is Abel. This is my other baby my 01 P38.
    Hi Abel,
    I am cautiously approaching the idea of off road driving. In May wife and I will be going to Scotland and I intend to go on a Safari with their automatic RR and the instructor by my side- http://www.highlandsafaris.net/leisu...f-road-driving. I will see how I get on- if the bug catches me or not!
    William

William. You'll have a blast driving it. Make sure you check and triple check your cooling system if you haven't already. Any and all Rovers run naturally hot and will over heat quite easily if your system has not been tended to. Get yourself familiarized with the system and its air bleeding procedure.