Thread: Looking for some new ideas.

Looking for some new ideas.

I haven't been on this site for about 13 months, when I pulled the plates off my 99 D1, and left it in the garage. For about 6 months prior to that, I was having on and off problems with the idle. It would intermittently refuse to idle at less than 2000 rpm, and I would also get a CEL. Everytime, it was an error about manufacturer controlled fuel and air mixture. During that period, I replaced the TPS, MAF and other doohickey next to the TPS (memory has faded on this a little.)

I have also changed the fuel filter and had to replace the fuel pump and pressure regulator. All parts mentioned from AB, and were new.

I just tried firing it up today for the first time since March of 2014. Of course, it now seems to run fine, but that pesky CEL is still on, and I can't get it past NYS inspection if it can't go 50 miles w/out the CEL coming on.

And, on top of all of that, the high idle has torn up my friction plates on the first gear, so I have to deal with that after I can assure my self the idle isn't going to act up again.

Any ideas? I had it to the dealer just before I pulled the plates so they could diagnose the CEL and idle issue. Seems they didn't do much good, and I ran out of patience.

Thanks in advance!
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

I think I found the problem with the CEL. When I changed out the sending unit, the connections were shot on the fuel lines. I put new brass ones on, but the inside diameter of them was slightly smaller. Finally, about a month ago, I put in slightly larger ones, and have run it on jackstands for about 30 miles. No CEL. Today, I got it registered, and have driven it around for a while. Still no CEL.

Monday comes the NYS inspection. It has to be dtiven 50 miles with no CEL for the computer to allow it to pass. Will keep you posted.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!

70 miles and no CEL!

Passed NYS Inspection today!

Even the mechanic called my baby a sturdy old girl that runs real smooth!

Now, who knows how to rebuild an auto tranny on a 2002 VW New Beetle, TDi ?
    Brockflock

Right on. Now, get off the road (4 wheeling that is).

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor