Thread: Hello from Dewey, Arizona

Hello from Dewey, Arizona

I was led here by an internet search for LR blogs to help me with my latest project. I am a professional mechanic with 32 years experience and the last 12 have been combined with being a heavy tow truck operator. I like to build custom wheelers and the towing job gives me access to a plethora of neglected and abandon vehicles to choose from. I could not pass up the Discovery for salvage price knowing I could put a Chevy engine in it. So here I am.......
    Mike

Welcome,
    Sweet project, feel free to post a build thread on that, sounds interesting, I just saw some of your pictures.

Are you keeping the ZF?
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

Yes I kept the ZF. The only thing that isn't Land Rover is the long block. I was able to bolt the LR accessories right up to the 350 with a little modification. I have put 3000 miles on it since I got it running and I love it. I just wish I could figure out the short shifting out of 1st gear.

How short...like almost instantaneous? Sounds like the governor seals need to be replaced.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

1st shifts under 5mph no matter how much throttle is applied. The rest of the shift points are normal. Can the governor seals be replaced without removing the transmission?

Yes, but you do have to remove the transfer case and transmission extension housing. The actual seal replacement is pretty simple. But if the 1-2 upshift is consistently under 5mph as you describe, I would first check the kickdown cable adjustment. I don't know how you have it hooked up with the engine swap you did, but the cable requires a certain amount of tension, It's not just to make in downshift for passing but also controls all the shifts, to an extent. If it is too loose the gearbox will think you have less throttle applied than is the case. As a guide the looser the cable, the earlier it will shift, the tighter the cable, the later it will shift.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

The cable is adjusted correctly. I took measurements off the throttle body to get the right distance of pull and have messed with the adjustment, which changes the rest of the shift points as expected. Looks like I need to open up that big bag of worms.....