Thread: SIIA clutch issue

SIIA clutch issue

My 1970 SIIA has been stored for over three years. I finally got a chance to get it going in prep of rebuilding it, and the clutch went straight to the floor (no normal resistance). I timed the shift (meaning I crunched some gears) to drive it out if the stored location and shifted manually, but it's clear the clutch petal ain't doing anything right now.

Since I need to move it before I take it apart, I'd rather take a look at the simpler stuff before breaking apart the transmission and engine. Any suggestions I can look at first?

Thanks.
    Last edited by D110DC; 04-04-2015 at 01:33 PM.
    Pete

70 Series IIA (RHD UK Spec)
    97 D90 ST
    10 Range Rover Supercharged (hers, of course)
    11 LR4
    and 3 sold Discos, the RRC, the D110 Double Cab...

It's a hydraulic clutch, I'd check the fluid level and see it's got plenty of fluid. If not, add some and see if it will pump up.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

In my SIII, the hose had collapse internally, and the clutch wouldn't work well, sometimes collapsing and was not able to replace liquid or purge obviously. Also, the master cylinder (at least on the SIII) tends to leak with age, maybe is not even creating pressure, can you hear hissing when moving it?
    <DCProven >
    <1977 Land Rover Santana, Series III, 2.25 Diesel>
    <1995 RRC, LWB, 4.2 V8>

"Information is not knowledge,..." Frank Zappa

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The master was a bit low so after filling pumped the clutch many times and it started to somewhat function. I can engage it very low to the floor, and only after holding/pumping the pedal a lot. After releasing it from one use, it's back to not functioning again. I do not hear any hissing when pushing the pedal, but am wondering if something internal to the master has let go. Do not see any leaking from and pipes, connections, etc.
    Pete

97 D90 ST
    11 LR4

I just worked on a SII that was sporadic in it's clutch engagement...sometimes it had good firm pedal and then other times it would start to engage right at the floor with soft pedal. If you held it to the floor at a stop it start to engage on its' own, so either the master or the slave had an internal leak. I just replaced them both along with the hose, problem solved. An internal leak after it' been sitting for a while isn't all that unusual.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Many thanks. I was getting ready to tear it down for a rebuild anyway, but moving soon so trying to hold out just a bit longer. Oh well....
    Pete

97 D90 ST
    11 LR4

Did you bleed it? Sounds like air in the lines, if you have to pump it up and it works you are compressing air. air compresses more than hyd fluid hence it takes more "action".
    1960 88 diesel bitsa
    1960 109 in progress
    1993 RRC