Thread: Snowboard carrier roof or hitch? Range Rover Supercharged 2006

Snowboard carrier roof or hitch? Range Rover Supercharged 2006

Trying to figure out the best way to get 2 or preferably 4 snowboards to the mountains. I Do not have the big black goofy looking side rails on the car and really don't want to get them. Anybody gone down this road? Can I mount crossbars to the roof without the side rails? Anybody have experience with hitch mounted set ups?

Thanks

I would suggest a roof mounted cargo box. A bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion and here's why. After getting to the mountain and riding all day and bringing along your neighbor who skis and all their gear you're ready to head home. Everyone doffs their outerwear and boots, jumps into your back seat and settles in for the ride home all the while enjoying the aromas wafting out of your boots, gloves, jackets and swampy pants. Your windows fog because of the moisture and you run the defogger and heater but that only makes the smell more aromatic. Each time you stop for food or fuel remember to lock up your rack so some ahole doesn't make off with your snowboards. Or, you toss all that wet, stinky stuff along with your boards into your roof top box, close the lid and head to in-n-out and sort it out in the relative comfort of your driveway or garage.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    I would suggest a roof mounted cargo box. A bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion and here's why. After getting to the mountain and riding all day and bringing along your neighbor who skis and all their gear you're ready to head home. Everyone doffs their outerwear and boots, jumps into your back seat and settles in for the ride home all the while enjoying the aromas wafting out of your boots, gloves, jackets and swampy pants. Your windows fog because of the moisture and you run the defogger and heater but that only makes the smell more aromatic. Each time you stop for food or fuel remember to lock up your rack so some ahole doesn't make off with your snowboards. Or, you toss all that wet, stinky stuff along with your boards into your roof top box, close the lid and head to in-n-out and sort it out in the relative comfort of your driveway or garage.
    Such wisdom in such prose...

;-)

NCLR Board Member
    Director of Affairs
    =====================
    Original Owner of "Ol' Man Disco"
    1996 Discovery Series I 5sp (103+k) Mostly stock with a few creature comforts. Hella 550's up top, 3k on a bumper mount, Kenwood HAM, ... Lots of ideas, limited execution...