Thread: tight fan belt

tight fan belt

since the weather got cold in the am when first starting car the belt must have shrunk and causes a grinding noise [on the steering pulley] it lasts about 3-4 minutes until warm,then it runs great all day.question,can you adjust tensioner pulley or anything or do you just have to change belt,mine's not even that old.appreciate any imput,rj

You didn't say what vehicle you have, there are a couple of different belt systems, multi-V belt on older Rovers and serpentine belt on the newer trucks. Essentially, V belts are adjustable and serpentine belt is not. From your phrasing I'll assume you have a serpentine belt. They don't really shrink and the tensioner can allow for small differences anyway. Sounds to me more like you have a bearing starting to go in the power steering pump.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

thanks,97 disco 1 old man emu coils and shocks bilstein steering dampener wouldn,t a bad bearing grind all the time this only does it when cold for a few minutes then runs great

changed the belt still grinding,i have a spare power steering pump but since it only does it until warm I think it might be my idler pulley,appreciate any response

Easy enough to check. Loosen the tensioner and take the belt off, then spin the pulley and see if it makes any noise.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

here's a lesson learned,hopefully only once,since I had the extra power steering pump I paid to install it,it lasted a day,i kept the old one cause I really didn't think it was bad,turns out the lower hose was bad and replaced [20 bucks] but I had to pay to reinstall the original pump.do I feel stupid.but in reality the original pump when touched was making noise [grinding] my gut told me it wasn't the pump from the beginning but we make decisions based on what we see,feel,diagnose.thanks for your imput td,even some of us who think were pretty good at knowing our truck can miss simple things [like a hose]

still getting the grinding although it goes away after awhile,don,t feel like buying a steering pump right now,still think a bad bearing would grind all the time,flushed fluid put in halvo ps fluid,any testing ideas about belt or pump appreciated,truck doesn,t make any noises when turning,only happens when driving straight and sometimes doesn,t do it,that,s why i think it,s a tight belt but tensioner does move up and down
    Last edited by rogerj; 08-05-2016 at 04:05 PM.