Thread: Totally Ridiculous Air Deflector for Roof Rack

Totally Ridiculous Air Deflector for Roof Rack

Sorry, I couldn't help myself... After staring at the metal grids prescribing my roof basket-style rack, and also after hearing the wind buzz through it at 40 mph, I thought a slight modification was in order:

Before:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rack_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	30358

A trip to the lumber yard to score a 1/2 sheet of thin "door skin" allowed me to start figuring out if I could torture it into a shape that might work. I fashioned-up some plywood angle pieces that bolted to the front edge of the rack:

Name:	TRAD_4.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	30359

And after trying to loft the radius of the RRC roof using a crude set of dividers, I soon figured out that if I just kept the main lower edge straight, I could bend the outside edges into position and that would also make the whole thing follow the RRC's roof crown:

Name:	TRAD_6.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	30360

The edges were forced inwards by using two stay tensioners found at my local hardware store:

Name:	TRAD_3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	30361

Total cost was ~ $ 17

Name:	TRAD_1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	30362

We'll see how well the whole thing holds up in a blow.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Trip report:

After running this on my roof for ~ 600 miles, on highways and through the woods, it works quite well... Many have accused me of trying to smuggle a snowboard. The air noise is totally eliminated, and gas mileage is certainly improved, although I don't know to what extent.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

#Burton. 😊
    =====================
    Original Owner of "Ol' Man Disco"
    1996 Discovery Series I 5sp (103+k) Mostly stock with a few creature comforts. Hella 550's up top, 3k on a bumper mount, Kenwood HAM, ... Lots of ideas, limited execution...