Thread: Roof Rack Gas fueling

Roof Rack Gas fueling

After many times dealing with leaking Jerry cans (fuel on roof, smell, dripping down side, etc), I decided to change my spare-fueling paradigm.

As an old salt, I thought that a 6-gallon outboard fuel tank, with its low profile, and as it is designed to handle bouncing around on the ocean, would not only be kinda cool hangin' out on the back end of my roof rack, but would be perfectly suited to act as a spare tank:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gas_1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	30347

I made a plywood platform to rest it on, and put a plastic tub under the tank to catch any unintended weeping of gas. There is a nylon web tie-down that runs from under each side to keep everything clamped in place:

Name:	Gas_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	30348

I purchased a "jiggle siphon" from an on-line auto parts supplier, and all I need to do is put one end of the siphon in the fuel filler tube, and the other in the upper gas tank, shake a few times, and voila, I have a way to re-fuel without having to lug jerry cans, hoist them into position, spill gas all down the side of my rig, etc.

Name:	Gas_3.jpg 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	30349

I am planning on mounting another 6-gallon next to this one, for a total of 12-gallon extra capacity (my RRC has a stated cap. of 21.8 US Gallons)... a total of 33.8 gallons... however, not ALL of the upper tank fuel is available as you have to siphon carefully to get the whole load out. That aside, this new set-up will GREATLY add to my peace-of-mind as I travel off-track.

Name:	mojave-road.gif 
Views:	11 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	30350

Next task is to fashion a Sunbrella canvas cover in a light color to keep the temp. down and to clean-up the look of the whole assembly.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Cool idea. It Won't take long for UV from the sun to make that plastic tub brittle and shatter though. Canvas cover might help.
    Nick

^ Exactly. That's why I'm doing up a Sunbrella cover (might even integrate R-2 insulation) to cover it all. My sailing buds did this on their deck-mounted fuel cans for a trip to the Marquesas and the whole thing worked quite well.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109

Okay... trip to the fabric store to get a few goodies. Four hours later and some frantic sewing, and I am literally out of gas on this one -- yes it's a pun.

There's a bungee wrapped around the whole perimeter at the bottom, and I made two slits to allow the hold-down strap to hold the upper part down. Threw on a piece of vinyl for wear protection. It's all on there really solid.

Here's some pics of the mostly finished cover:

Name:	Gas_4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	30353

Name:	Gas_5.jpg 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	30354

Name:	Gas_6.jpg 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	30355

Name:	Gas_7.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	30356

I need some time away from my projects!

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 09-29-2014 at 11:36 PM.

Trip Report:

Works great. All kinds of strange looks at the interstate fwy gas stop as you casually transfer fuel next to a BMW.

--Paul