Thread: CCEC's RRC Tailgate Tent Project

CCEC's RRC Tailgate Tent Project

As I put the finishing touches on the RRC on-board air project (see wheels & tires forum), my focus now is an adaptation of a cabin tent that I have for my Prius, as applied to the back-end of an RRC.

The inspiration came from this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Prius_Habitent_1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	30303

As you can see, it's basically a clip-on shelter that sets-up in about TWO minutes and weighs about a pound. My thought that this set-up would make a SWB Rangie definitely more sleep-able, and make an LWB practically cavernous by comparison. Let's face it, these rigs are never going to be VW Westfalia's, but there is hope to make it comfy.

Here are the raw materials for my build: Some rip-stop nylon, a long zipper, a bungee, some bungee hooks and some industrial thread. I will probably add mosquito netting and a couple more zippers as I get down the road.

Name:	Tent_1.1.jpg 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	30304

So I have my pattern and I will start cutting material this week. Need to get my old Pfaff 130 up and running, then I can sew, sew, sew.

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 08-31-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Material cut. Some pieces getting a hem so I can run a bungee down the whole perimeter. Messed up on the two side pieces and will have to mend those to make it work.

Name:	Tent_Material.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	30316

Next step is a rough fitting on the rig, then the serious sewing begins. Doing the circular zipper will be the tricky part.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109

Pretty much finished... still need to clean up some hem at the bottom. But it IS functional:

Name:	RRC_Tent_1.jpg 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	30330

Looking inside:

Name:	RRC_Tent_2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	30331

More:

Name:	RRC_Tent_3.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	30332

And:

Name:	RRC_Tent_4.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	30333

Looking rearward from passenger side:

Name:	RRC_Tent_5.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	30334

Not mosquito-proof. That will come later.

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 09-21-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Very interesting. Looks good. You have some good sewing skills there. Where does the water go if it rains? Looks like the tent is pitched towards the door??

The tent is pitched towards the rear of the truck, and is above the roof line. I haven't water tested it yet, and I don't plan on camping in the rain anyway.

Besides, it never rains here in Cal. anyway...!

If it is a problem, I can just move my seat FWD and sleep fully-stretched with whole tailgate closed. That's why RRC LWB's rock.

I dear old granny taught me how to sew when I was 8... I was making those Frostline kits to make down jackets and bicycle panniers, etc.

--Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ccec View Post
    The tent is pitched towards the rear of the truck, and is above the roof line. I haven't water tested it yet, and I don't plan on camping in the rain anyway.

Besides, it never rains here in Cal. anyway...!

If it is a problem, I can just move my seat FWD and sleep fully-stretched with whole tailgate closed. That's why RRC LWB's rock.

I dear old granny taught me how to sew when I was 8... I was making those Frostline kits to make down jackets and bicycle panniers, etc.

--Paul
    Does anybody PLAN on camping in the rain?