Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCEC's On-Boar Air Project for RRC

CCEC's On-Board Air Project for a 1993 RRC

Well... don't know exactly where this is going to end up, but it's been evolving at an incredibly slow pace.

I'm famous for creating "As-Built" gadgets. Creating something w/o a plan. Sometimes good, sometimes useless.

The concept was to mate the stock LWB air tank with a modern Viair 100% duty cycle compressor. I briefly thought about locating the tank in it's stock under-body location, but wanted to keep it out of the weather. The whole thing should end up not taking more space than the normal spare tire volume and maybe have a place to mount tools or other gear.

Here's where we are so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	30245

I fashioned-up a mounting frame out of 3/4" plywood and found a way to bolt it to the inside of the truck using the spare tire mounting hole and the two stand-offs that come stock.

Name:	Air_4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	30246

Name:	Air_5.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	30247

Here's the compressor, mounted below the tank. Not much room, but nothing should touch or rattle.

Name:	Air_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	30248

I haven't decided if I'll use a giant coil long enough to reach the front wheels or a long, uncoiled air hose wrapped around a reel.

This project has greatly helped by this graphic I found on-line. Many thanks to whomever posted it in cyberspace.

Name:	Air_7.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	30249

Stay tuned as this thing takes shape.

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 08-26-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Title
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Very nice! Where'd you get that SS braided hose from? Is there a drain somewhere on the bottom of the tank for moisture?

The braided hose is made by Viair... I bought it from Summit Racing along with the gauge and some fittings. The pump comes with a braided 18" line with a one-way "dumper valve."

Yes, even though I live in a dry climate (and getting dryer by the day!), I need to address the moisture issue. The tank is the stock Rover one that comes with RRC's LWB's with AS... I had it blasted and powder-coated at a shop top make it look pretty. There is a drain on the bottom, but I will probably need to rig a remote air intake and put an in-line dryer in there before it even hits the pump.

More progress has been made, pics over the weekend.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109

Update:

Starting to complete the vision:

Name:	Air_2.1.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	30274

It was kind of tricky getting a feed to the pressure gauge:

Name:	Air_2.3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	30275

Uh-Huh...

Name:	Air_2.2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	30276

And... I couldn't resist. It's a 12V fan I bought at O'Reilly's for 8 bucks. This side will be covered in carpet to keep my load space cushy... as for the fan, I figured it would be a good idea to keep ambient air moving out of my "box" so that the pump won't (hopefully) overheat:

Name:	Air_2.4.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	30277

I'm going to store the air hose in a PVC tube -- pic of back-side:

Name:	Air_2.6.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	30278

I'll cut this off and marry it to the front "dashboard" after I paint it. For now, it looks like a potato cannon!

Name:	Air_2.7.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	30279

--Paul

So this is fast air for tools or just to fill tires? Will it heat up filling big tires? Nice work Paulin.....
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

I really don't know the potential. I'll never need air tools (right?), so the air is for tires only and maybe an air mattress, and a blow-up doll

The pump is 100% duty cycle and is thermally-protected, so I should be able to fill all my tires in the Mojave in mid-summer.

I have run a tap with a separate valve under my rig to the front bumper so I have another air source there.

More pics soon.

--Paul

More pics from the project. Not done, but it's in the rig and functioning.

Bolted in:

Name:	Air_3.1.jpg 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	30281

Detail of the "dashboard:"

Name:	Air_3.2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	30282

I'm going to finish off the top with a "drape" of heavy canvas that will have pockets for tools, flashlight, beer cans, etc. I'm quite handy with a sewing machine, so...

Name:	Air_3.3.jpg 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	30283

Here's the valve sending air to the front bumper:

Name:	Air_3.5.jpg 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	30284

What's cool is that the whole thing fits inside my stock spare tire cover, so it's like a "sleeper" accessory:

Name:	Air_3.6.jpg 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	30285

You won't see this once I make my cover, but for now, it looks like some kind of mad-scientist action:

Name:	Air_3.7.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	30286

When I'm done with this I'll be working on my new thread: making an LWB tent extension for serious leg room!

Stay Tuned!

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 08-26-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Grammar issues

This is really clean. Nice work.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

^ Thanks. Learned a few things... The fan must have a resistor, because the motor fried immediately. I'll get another $8 fan and use the cig. lighter connection that came with it. I really want that fan to work -- mostly for show.

It's holding air well, with very little pressure drop.

--Paul

First off everything looks great, nice work!
    How big is that tank?
    Here's my observations using a Puma 12V compressor with 1.5 gallon tank:
    - The tank is quickly depleted.
    - The pressure drops in the tank very quickly when filling tires so the compressor kicks on within a few seconds of starting to air up.
    - After the tank pressure drops and the compressor starts running, it will run pretty much non-stop until you finish airing up your tires.
    - I don't bring or use air tools off the compressor/tank.
    - The only reason I keep the tank is because I need storage to operate my air lockers.
    - If I didn't have the lockers I would completely ditch the tank, save space, and just run the compressor.

So basically what I'm saying is you may want to try the system out and see how it operates before you have everything set in place. You may find that the tank always taking up space isn't worth the few seconds of air you get out of it on the few times you need it.
    Great looking project, though! Looks totally sano!