Thread: CCEC's On-Boar Air Project for RRC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CCEC's On-Board Air Project for a 1993 RRC

Well... don't know exactly where this is going to end up, but it's been evolving at an incredibly slow pace.

I'm famous for creating "As-Built" gadgets. Creating something w/o a plan. Sometimes good, sometimes useless.

The concept was to mate the stock LWB air tank with a modern Viair 100% duty cycle compressor. I briefly thought about locating the tank in it's stock under-body location, but wanted to keep it out of the weather. The whole thing should end up not taking more space than the normal spare tire volume and maybe have a place to mount tools or other gear.

Here's where we are so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	30245

I fashioned-up a mounting frame out of 3/4" plywood and found a way to bolt it to the inside of the truck using the spare tire mounting hole and the two stand-offs that come stock.

Name:	Air_4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	30246

Name:	Air_5.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	30247

Here's the compressor, mounted below the tank. Not much room, but nothing should touch or rattle.

Name:	Air_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	30248

I haven't decided if I'll use a giant coil long enough to reach the front wheels or a long, uncoiled air hose wrapped around a reel.

This project has greatly helped by this graphic I found on-line. Many thanks to whomever posted it in cyberspace.

Name:	Air_7.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	30249

Stay tuned as this thing takes shape.

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 08-26-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Title
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!