Thread: CCEC's On-Boar Air Project for RRC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CCEC's On-Board Air Project for a 1993 RRC

Well... don't know exactly where this is going to end up, but it's been evolving at an incredibly slow pace.

I'm famous for creating "As-Built" gadgets. Creating something w/o a plan. Sometimes good, sometimes useless.

The concept was to mate the stock LWB air tank with a modern Viair 100% duty cycle compressor. I briefly thought about locating the tank in it's stock under-body location, but wanted to keep it out of the weather. The whole thing should end up not taking more space than the normal spare tire volume and maybe have a place to mount tools or other gear.

Here's where we are so far:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air_1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	30245

I fashioned-up a mounting frame out of 3/4" plywood and found a way to bolt it to the inside of the truck using the spare tire mounting hole and the two stand-offs that come stock.

Name:	Air_4.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	30246

Name:	Air_5.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	30247

Here's the compressor, mounted below the tank. Not much room, but nothing should touch or rattle.

Name:	Air_2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	30248

I haven't decided if I'll use a giant coil long enough to reach the front wheels or a long, uncoiled air hose wrapped around a reel.

This project has greatly helped by this graphic I found on-line. Many thanks to whomever posted it in cyberspace.

Name:	Air_7.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	30249

Stay tuned as this thing takes shape.

--Paul
    Last edited by ccec; 08-26-2014 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Title
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Very nice! Where'd you get that SS braided hose from? Is there a drain somewhere on the bottom of the tank for moisture?

The braided hose is made by Viair... I bought it from Summit Racing along with the gauge and some fittings. The pump comes with a braided 18" line with a one-way "dumper valve."

Yes, even though I live in a dry climate (and getting dryer by the day!), I need to address the moisture issue. The tank is the stock Rover one that comes with RRC's LWB's with AS... I had it blasted and powder-coated at a shop top make it look pretty. There is a drain on the bottom, but I will probably need to rig a remote air intake and put an in-line dryer in there before it even hits the pump.

More progress has been made, pics over the weekend.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109

Update:

Starting to complete the vision:

Name:	Air_2.1.jpg 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	30274

It was kind of tricky getting a feed to the pressure gauge:

Name:	Air_2.3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	30275

Uh-Huh...

Name:	Air_2.2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	30276

And... I couldn't resist. It's a 12V fan I bought at O'Reilly's for 8 bucks. This side will be covered in carpet to keep my load space cushy... as for the fan, I figured it would be a good idea to keep ambient air moving out of my "box" so that the pump won't (hopefully) overheat:

Name:	Air_2.4.jpg 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	30277

I'm going to store the air hose in a PVC tube -- pic of back-side:

Name:	Air_2.6.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	30278

I'll cut this off and marry it to the front "dashboard" after I paint it. For now, it looks like a potato cannon!

Name:	Air_2.7.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	30279

--Paul

So this is fast air for tools or just to fill tires? Will it heat up filling big tires? Nice work Paulin.....
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

I really don't know the potential. I'll never need air tools (right?), so the air is for tires only and maybe an air mattress, and a blow-up doll

The pump is 100% duty cycle and is thermally-protected, so I should be able to fill all my tires in the Mojave in mid-summer.

I have run a tap with a separate valve under my rig to the front bumper so I have another air source there.

More pics soon.

--Paul