Thread: Basic Winch questions

Basic Winch questions

My brother in law just bought a Warn M8000. We had a problem with it and after seeing some smoke coming out of it, we called Warn. One of the things they said was that winch, although sold with 100 feet of line, is not meant to be run long enough to run in the entire length of line. This sounds really strange to me. I'm thinking that if I had to anchor to something 90 feet away just to pull myself 10 feet out of a stuck position, it could take hours to just reel in the line.

Does this sound right to you guys? I don't have a winch, so I have no clue on this.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!
    12-2016 update: Coopers are done. Michelin Defender LTXs on the way!

I have the same winch that came with my GDE bumper, but ALL winches need a minimum # of wraps on the drum prior to winching. Land Rover's factory "Winching in Safety" booklet says 5 wraps minimum.Check all the info on-line, starting with Bill Burke's infinite knowledge base.

That was the problem: the winch had no "grab" depending on the load.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Paul, thanks. The rope that came with it was the Spydura rope. The first layer of it, that covers the spool fully is red, and was wound up fully around the spool. It was not slipping on the spool at all. The smoke came from the motor itself. After calling Warn, and realizing they would not warrant it, we opened it up, and found the insulation had fallen into the motor and was burnt up.

Regardless, I don't understand why a winch would not have a duty cycle long enough to just spool the line fully, regardless of the level (or lack) of resistance.
    Brockflock
    Disco I SD '99 Stock 144k mi. New stock suspension, new steering box, new rear shaft joints, Cooper Discovery ATR's and announcing a totally redone set of heads. May 2013: Brakes converted to Defender style: Calipers, stainless flex lines, drilled, slotted and vented rotors. Stops like it hit a wall when you stand on them now!

Wow. Gnarly. What were you pulling with it-- a tree stump?

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Turns out, the motor has only a 25% duty cycle, pretty anemic for such a revered brand. We took the motor to a guy that rebuilds electric motors. He replaced it with an off brand name that has twice the power, and a 75% duty cycle. I am not very impressed with Warn.
    Brockflock

That sucks. I have a different brand winch and have used it on some very long pulls some involving a snatchblock. It will run 100+ feet no problem. It gets a little warm on a pull like that but will do it again and again.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come