Thread: Fire road fun!

Cool Fire road fun!

Ok so it's nothing extreme. But, once again, had the entire mountain (Mt. Knight), to myself. Even caught a nice 18" 2lb rainbow for lunch and more. Good day! 22 miles form my house to turn off (camp 9), & 4.5 hours of fire road to get back to the highway (108 at fraiser flat). Now, to see if the pics will upload...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lunch002.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	503.5 KB 
ID:	30237 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lunch001.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	395.6 KB 
ID:	30238. Well, there you go. I guess there are size limits. Sorry for the wee-pictures.

I gotta know this fire road. We have a cabin in pinecrest and this sounds like a fantastic day adventure! So you started in Yosemite and ended in mi wuk village? I want to do this next time I go up to the cabin.
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

Okee dokee... Yosemite is the other direction though... Go through Columbia via Parrots Ferry Rd to Camp 9 road, If you end up in Vallecito, you've gone to far. It's a small wooden sign across from the Moaning Caverns entrance. Go all the way to the Stanislaus River (there is an abandoned quarry that has some fun 4wd options on the way). Go across the bridge to your first right. That will be the 4NO5. Stay on that road until you see the sign for Mt. Knight (4NO1), Your first right before the sign will take you to the forebay for the Stalislaus Power House. Good fishing at times. Sometimes it's just frustrating. Go big though... Over Shoettgen Pass towards Spring Gap (Sandbar Flat is closed for the year. Don't bother...). That will eventually put you out at Cold Springs (just below anyway). Turn left and your at Pinecrest in 5 minutes or less. Hope that helps. I'm working in Pinecrest this week and next. If your up, give a call & I'll show you some other nice day trips. There's a good one from Big Trees to Hells Half Acre that takes about the same time depending on how many spurs you explore. Best of luck & happy trails!

Thanks for the info! That sounds like a great little trip. When I get a little down time, I will check it out!
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

Its like an adventure,i love these type of trips because these so creative and you done everything which you desire because it organized by your own friends.I would like to go with my friends in next month for a trip like this.

Looks like fun.. I love that neck of the woods. My dad lives up in Greely Hill and used to do a lot of logging all over around that area with his old gig. Every time I go up there he shows me some out of the way little spot. When your job is to go way out of the way and fell some timber you find all sorts of neat stuff.