Thread: Velcro loop headliner idea...

Velcro loop headliner idea...

So I was watching some 4x4 video on overlanding on YouTube and the guy had built a ceiling mounted lockable storage unit in his Toyota Land Cruiser. This storage unit was lined on the outside with velcro-type loop fabric so if he had any knick-knacks or odds-n-ends, he only needed to stick those adhesive velcro hook fasteners to it and he could just stick it to the outside of this box.

I got to thinking, my headliner needs to be re-upholstered, why not do the whole thing in Velcro loop fabric?

I'm currently trying to source Velcro (or similar) loop fabric and have some samples on order to check color and fabric thickness and flexibility. My Discovery 1 headliner is approximately 90" long by 60" wide (being generous with the lengths). I've already pulled it from the car and it's sitting in my living room. I need to see how flexible the loop fabric is to fit the headliner shape, but considering they use the same type of fabric for trade show displays and cubicle walls, I think it should work out ok.

Prices on different brands vary from about $13.50 a yard to $33 a yard. I know the $33/Yd is wide enough at 64", but it has a 5 yard minimum order and I really only need about 3 yards. Not sure on the width of the $13/Yd brand, but I'll call them during business hours tomorrow to find out.

I'll use the normal 3M headliner spray adhesive to apply the fabric to the headliner shell after removing the old fabric and foam.

Anyone here already redo a headliner using spray adhesive? Experiences/rate the difficulty?

I'm often asked how an environmental scientist can drive around in a 10 mpg Land Rover...
    I tell them that when sea level rise inundates the city,... I'll still be able to get around.

Vehicle:
    1998 & 1999 Land Rover Discovery I

I started the recover process, but never completed my headliner, simply because I acquired a perfect replacement. All I can offer is using denatured alcohol & some small brushes (I used brass ones) to remove the glue & foam. One of the forum members, my apologies for forgetting who, suggested it. Made fairly quick & easy work of the removal.
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

I did mine about 4 years ago. It's held up nicely. I would say that you need your fabric to be rather flexible. Also, the widest part of your liner is just above the rear seats. There are these "wings" that curve down when the headliner is installed and force you to use a wider than standard headliner fabric. Ensure tha you measure including the radius of each of those and add an inch on either side for wraping the edge. I used the 3M spray adhesive and it was a good learning experience. I don't have sunroofs and getting the headliner fabric into the recess where the sunroof should be forced me to streatch the fabric rather tightly. Then up near the front where the visors are, and around those wings you have to scrunch (opposite of stretch) the fabric without wrinkling it. On the advice of another forum member I used a kitchen spoon to work the fabric into corners and it worked well.

My concern with using the hook and loop fabric and spray adhesive is that with constant use your favorite spots might pull away or you might damage the headliner board. I like the idea but perhaps a trial run with some scrap material is in order before jumping in. Don't forget to test it at your local temperature extremes.

If you do decide to recover with headliner material two pieces of advice. 1 wait overnight to install the headliner to ensure the adhesive is fully cured and 2 have a friend or two help you reinstall and use something to spread out the area your hands contact the headliner so you don't create dimple marks where the foam is compressed by your little sausage fingers. Otherwise your new headliner will look like the surface of the moon for a few months while the foam recovers. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by sactodisco; 07-03-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

I pulled my headliner out and wire-brushed the old adhesive remnants. Then I had a professional upholstery shop glue in the fabric that I chose from a local fabric shop. I went the "make it look totally stock" route and I'm very happy.

Love the idea of the sticky headliner though!

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!