Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best all terrain for the money

best all terrain for the money

Hi, im going to downgrade from a mud terrain to an all terrain on my 03 disco. It has a 2" lift, so I'd like them to still look slightly aggressive. I'm not expecting to do any off roading for a while (very light if any) so id like them to be quiet, and good in the snow/ rain. They need to be 265/75 16. I need a set of 5 so i can replace the spare, and im trying to stay under $900. This was my dads car and now its my college car, so little off roading for now, and they need to be cheap.

I was looking at the BFG all terrain ta ko, General grabber at2, Micky Thompson Baja radial stz, and the Hankook Dynapro at/m.

any other ideas??

thanks to anyone that helps!!

I went from Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlars to Cooper ST MAXXs on my '95 LWB. A lot quieter, smoother, and still great traction all over.
    NCLR #059

I use MasterCraft Courser C/T all-terrain tires. Last time I purchased 5 tires was in 2011 got all 5 for under $600. They also have holes in the tread to allow for snow studs to be screwed in.

I'm often asked how an environmental scientist can drive around in a 10 mpg Land Rover...
    I tell them that when sea level rise inundates the city,... I'll still be able to get around.

Vehicle:
    1998 & 1999 Land Rover Discovery I

If you can get the BFGs within your budget that would be a great option
    =====================
    Original Owner of "Ol' Man Disco"
    1996 Discovery Series I 5sp (103+k) Mostly stock with a few creature comforts. Hella 550's up top, 3k on a bumper mount, Kenwood HAM, ... Lots of ideas, limited execution...

Not really in your budget but IMO the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs are the best AT tire on the market. Awesome in the snow, too.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheh View Post
    not really in your budget but imo the goodyear wrangler duratracs are the best at tire on the market. Awesome in the snow, too.
    x1000
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

I have run both the BFG AT and the Toyo Open countries. Liked them both. The open countries were cheep and quiet but had weaker side walls. I ended up slicing two of them. One on a rock and another on a branch. But they made it through the rubicon twice without issue. So if your looking for light off roading they would probably be ok
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

i've run both the BFG's and the Generals. liked the Generals more than the BFG's. a bit more quiet, less rocks in the tread (have a gravel drive) and a litter bit less money. both were decent performance. running Nitto MT's and they are as quiet as the BFG or Generals. Love this tire. i've got a 5" lift and i'm running 33"s and they have been excellent off road, rock, mud, not had them in sand yet. j

I read about some happy campers with Goodyear Wrangler Authority. I haven't personally run them so I can't say for certain.

You can get them at Walmart in the size you want for $176.00 per tire x 5 = $880.00 less the $40 rebate Goodyear has until 9/30 = $840 + tax for 5 tires. Here's a link to Walmart for that tire. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-W...5R16C/11983160
    The financial crisis is worse than a divorce! I've lost 50% of my assets and I'm still married!

I ended up getting a set of Cooper AT3s. I entered a Facebook content from Cooper and I won somehow. I had the Cooper STTs on my disco before, and on my dads D90 and a Jeep Cherokee and really like them. These AT3s are really nice for an all terrain, but I haven't gone off road with them yet (apart from a small rocky hill that i climbed and it had no problem). On road, they're really quiet and smooth and seem to have good traction in the rain. So far im happy with them,