Thread: Just bought a 98 disco and torn between a 2" or 3" lift

Just bought a 98 disco and torn between a 2" or 3" lift

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-07 00.17.56.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	29886

This disco is my daily driver. I live in New Orleans and do a lot of Kayak fishing. I will spend a lot of time in the sand, light rock crawling, and driving to fishing holes when the tide is up. I do have a heavy foot and will log some highways miles, so I do need a safe ride. What I am thinking is a RTE 2" lift with a upgraded steering and dampener. In the future, I will add RTE slimline bumper and one on the rear also. I am not looking to cut anything, I just want to lift, bolt on bumpers, paint, and drive. Please advise on the lift (heavy or medium) and tire size. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by nupedisco98; 10-10-2013 at 08:12 PM.

If you're mostly in sand and small rocks you probably don't even need a lift. Also consider how high you have to lift that kayak to the roof. If you're looking at lifts, rte makes a great product and a 2 in lift will be the most cost effective. I run their old 5 in with hd springs and its pretty good. It doesn't ride like stock but what 5 in lift does? I would suggest if your planning on hanging heavy bumpers and loading up on camping gear to go with the hd springs. As far as tire size I wouldn't go bigger than a 32". Even that big will show up in economy and power. Not to sure how many hills you have out there but these rigs aren't really known for flying up steep hills.

Welcome Bro Im glad you joined. I agree with Sactodisco about using a HD lift kit to accommodate the bumpers and kayak and gear. The upgraded steering is a plus as you wont have to worry about noodling your steering linkages. A 2" lift with 265/75/16's is very common and proven setup on these trucks. Also RTE suspension is proven as well to be a top notch kit. OME is tried and true and Terrafirma although new is getting good reviews about their kits. Btw thats a nice D1 you have there

here is my old D1 with a 2" lift and 32's and 3" lift with 33's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails greenb3.jpg   greenB.jpg  
    Last edited by disco12; 10-10-2013 at 10:12 PM.
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s