Thread: winch suggestions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

winch suggestions?

I'm seeking a recovery winch for my disco II. I have a warn bumper ready to go I'm just a little hesitant to buy a winch & have it not be big/strong enough. I don't anticipate needing a 14k lb but... Any experience is appreciated. Thanks.

a warn or superwinch 8K or 9.5K winch with a snatch block should do fine.. Keep an eye out on CL. you can find good deals, you just have to be persistent. I found my warn M8000 for 200 bucks on CL. Also, if you find one that's a smoking deal but is a little further than you are willing to drive during a weekday see if you can have a friend that may live closer pick it up for you. That's how i scored mine. It was listed in Lancaster so I asked Richard (MuddyMudSkipper) if he was available to go pick it up if i sent him the money via paypal. Worked like a charm, only took me 6 months to go pick it up

I second that. You sounding have really any problems with an 8k-9k lb winch. If you ever get to its stall load add in a snatch block and you're good to go.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

I posted this on D90 too.
    I just recently bought a winch. I did a LOT of looking and researching. I was on a fixed budget so running out and buying the top of the line Warn was out of the question.
    I had the following criteria:
    -Less than $1000 for winch, synthetic rope, and fairlead; though I was aiming even lower
    -Single contactor, aka Albright solenoid
    -Decent line speed
    -On the low side for Amp draw
    -No intergrated solenoid permanently fixed on top of the winch
    -No behemoth winches, some measure close to 26" wide!

These criteria helped wittle down my selection considerably yet it also made it more difficult to find one, if that makes sense. I was not against buying used. I was reading a lot on how the Superwinch EP9.0 was a great winch and how the Talon has pretty much replaced it. Finding a EP9.0 used was impossible and the Talon was too much after adding synthetic line.
    The problem I ran into with most used winches was that they didn't have an Albright solenoid, synthetic line, or a hawse fairlead. So I was having to spend another $400+ to add those things myself. Most used winches were going for too much to make that an economical option.
    Enter the Viking GS-9. I stumbled upon this while looking for winchline. When I read the specs and looked at the pics it appears that the GS-9 is a rebadged and modified Superwinch EP9.0.

I found the GS-9 on Ebay from Viking and got it sans line for $509 shipped, new.
    I bought 3/8"x85' Master-Pull winchline with a tube thimble on Amazon for $230 shipped.
    I splurged on a new Rokmen Big Hawse fairlead for about $80 shipped.
    I sold the Viking fairlead that came with my winch for a profit of $45.
    So all told I'm into the whole set up, brand new, for $775.

I had the chance to used the winch on Saturday a couple times and it pulled GREAT. I'm extremely pleased with the set up.

So take a look at the Viking GS-9.
    Otherwise Ebay and Craigslist are good sources for used winches.

Fish. Rig is looking good. When are you going to meet us on he rubicon?
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

When I get a tow rig or figure out how to rent a semi and drive it out there with a few trucks. It's sooooooo far away.
    Meet us in Utah in May 2015 though. Planning a two week trip.

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    Fish. Rig is looking good. When are you going to meet us on he rubicon?