Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '57 swivel ball and axle seals

'57 swivel ball and axle seals

Good sunny morning to you all. Have a couple questions re my 1957 88. Is there a source for swivel ball seals on that truck? Left side is a leaker, still usable - top up as needed. And then, what's involved in changing axle seals? Drums are off for new brakes and thinking it might pay to go further for preventive maint if the work is reasonable.
    Thanks,
    Bob

If you don't have any luck in the US try these folks http://www.dunsfoldcollection.co.uk/index.php
    Also www.LRseries.com
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum! There are several sources for Series parts, three that come to mind are Atlantic British, Rovers North and RovahFarm. Of those three I prefer RovahFarm as Trevor is more than fair to deal with, very good prices, fast shipping and personal service. I very rarely find the need to go elsewhere as he usually has what I need in stock. I've bought swivel seals from him in the past so I know he stocks them, I think he even has two different choices in quality. And he has the hub seals as well. As long as you're into the brakes anyway it's not a bad idea to change them, if they're not leaking now they probably soon will be. First of all, spend the few extra bucks and get the better quality seals, you'll find them listed as Corteco brand. Seals are not the place to cheap out and put in the Allmakes crap. You'll need to remove the hub (if you have locking hubs on the front it's a little more involved than removing non locking drive flanges) and underneath you'll find two large nuts which need to be removed with a hub nut socket, available at most parts stores. Between those two nuts is sandwiched a special flat locking tab washer which is bent over one flat of the must to keep them from coming loose, it's not a bad idea to replace those as well. Once the two nuts and the washer are off the hub will come right off and you can access the hub seal at the back of the hub. I'm just about to do a set on the front of a Series II. It's not a bad job, just a little messy as it usually is when dealing with bearings. It's also a good opportunity to clean, inspect and repack the front bearings as well as clean and lube the locking front hubs.
    Last edited by TigerDan; 09-23-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

I was assuming S1's had different swivel seals, and so a little harder to find in the US, but maybe not.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

AFAIK they're the same. Here's the appropriate page from RovahFarm:

http://www.rovahfarm.com/seriesaxles...eringpage1.htm
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Looks like you're right. Trevor only says "all", which I don't really ever trust. I buy a fair bit from Trevor, I just prefer things spelled out. .
    LRSeries.com says 48-84
    http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...-OIL-SEAL.html
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

I agree Tom, "All" is generally a little to vague for my taste. But I trust Trevor's listings, and I did cross-reference it with another site and came up with the same as you, basically '48 and up, SI II and III so that looked good enough. I usually check two different sources and if they agree, I figure I'm OK. If they disagree, then I look further till I have a consensus. Also, I really dislike AB's listings and use them more for a source of part numbers than anything else.
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

Thanks guys. Looks like they are on hand in abundance. Also http://www.3brothersclassicrovers.com/ in Canada has lots of series parts. I understood they were unavailable based on calling Brit Pacific and another supplier a while back but it seems they were just out of stock. What kind of job is a rear axle seal change? My SI manual is on order and might take a while to arrive. Axle puller? Bearing press?

Which seal? The hub seals? Pretty much like doing the fronts as I described earlier. Easy.
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

Tigerdan. I'm with you on the front but the early rear is different from the front and also different from the rears on SII and newer. It's semi floating with a pressed bearing vs the later floating ale/hub. I talked to Trevor at rovahfarm. He doesn't stock that seal or know that axle so he is checking with his contact in England. There is plenty else to do until I find the answer. I'll post an update then.
    Thanks all,
    Bob