Thread: Spare tire holder

Spare tire holder

Can a bigger tire fit on the spare tire holder on a 98 disco? I have 245/75/16 duratecs.

You can remove and turn the old carrier up-side down and then you will be able to mount a 265.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

Thanks

Good grief. Nothing needs to be turned and flipped on a D1. You can fit at least a 265/75/16 on the stock spare mount with NO modifications. I think a 255/85/16 or 285/75/16 will fit with no mods too but I'm not sure. Regardless, your 245/75/16 will fit just fine.

Thanks. Flipping it upside down didn't make sense to me. It looks like it would be the same both ways

Quote Originally Posted by Tony808 View Post
    Thanks. Flipping it upside down didn't make sense to me. It looks like it would be the same both ways

On the D2 the mounting holes are offset. So when you flip the mount on a D2 you actually gain an inch or so. I don't think this is the case on D1's, though I've never tried because my 265/75/16 DuraTracs fit just fine on the stock spare mount with no flipping.

On kinda this subject, has anyone tried the spare tire carrier that fits in your tow hitch? Some fold down to allow tailgate opening, etc. The one I'm looking at weighs 31 pounds... would like to keep all the weight down as low as possible in my Rangie.

I'm trying to find an eloquent way to carry my over-sized spare -- but not on my roof rack.

--Paul
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!