Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lift NO cutting

lift NO cutting

im looking to add per swamper tsl radials in 33x10.50R16LT ( realy 32.7x10.20 ) to my 99d2
    how much lift do i need to fit with no cutting of fenders i dont want to butcher the truck. i use
    the vehicle for winter,hunting and some play mostly mud and snow im not into the rock crawling. i do drive on the road but i have other cars and a harley so it realy isnt my every day driver!

So, have you already installed a CDL linkage and rebuilt or replaced the front drive shaft?
    As for the lift for those tires, a good 3" lift either RTE, Old Man Emus or Iron Man along with new D1 rear coil spring seats, but that is just for starters, with what you want to do and those huge tires, you will also need lockers front and rear cause your current diffs. won't take that abuse, gears in the 4:50 or lower, H.D, axles, new steel brake lines, need to modify your watts linkage, a new adjustible pan hard rod and modifications both front and rear to the suspension to retain your coils and new castor corrected radius arms.
    The only other thing you may need might be wheel spacers.
    Oh yeh, you will need to either cut your front bumper or switch to a steel one to allow your front tires to fit.
    This should pretty much fix your truck for a lot of wheeling.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

i have the cdl but havent intaled yet. im waiting for me and a buddy of mine to have the same day off to cut the front bumper he has already done his and has my cutoff tool at his house. i havent yet ordered the new front shaft
    p.s. when i can afford the tru trac for the front and d.t. locker for the rear i was only going to go 4:30 on the gears that wont be enugh?
    Last edited by hk9176251; 06-30-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Go a little lower on the gears. Where are you going to get your gears, shaft and lift from?
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

If you don't care that your RPMs will be kind of high on the highway, the 4:37 will be fine. Especially if you are pushing with an old 4.0 motor. If you had a fresh 4.6, I would say go 4:11.
    I had 33" tires on my DII using the RTE 3" lift. You will need to modify your front cross member. And recommend you start shopping for corrected radius, trailing arms, brake lines, etc.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

I have numerous friends running 255/85/16 BFG Muds on 2" lift. No changes other than lift and front driveshaft. Yeah gears and all that other stuff is nice but if you go easy on the skinny pedal you'll be fine. And there's NO WAY I'd go with 4.5 gears or higher on any truck that isn't a trailer queen. I have 316/75/16's on my D1 and the 4:12 Ashcrofts are just about perfect. But again, they're not really necessary.

I ran 33's with a five inch lift and some offset wheels and still needed some trimming. If your not looking for lots of articulation out of your axles you could always add bump stops to prevent any rubbing. If you go 3 inches it would be a good idea to correct you castor to maintain your road manners. Brake lines and such are always a concern. As for gearing. I am running 4:11 with my 35s and its just about close to stock. When I had 33s my rpm's were a bit higher than I would have liked if I put a lot of highway miles on it. I wouldn't go any more than 4:11 ish for a couple of reasons. First, our vehicles don't have a lot of aftermarket options but here are more options for 4:11 and above than below. Your cost will rise in a nonlinear relationship below 4:11. Second a lower gear with 33s will increase your overall reduction below that of the stock design and cause higher engine rpm's and more fuel consumption for the same speed traveled. Not to mention that your speedo will be off as well as your odometer.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

And that's the difference between a D1 and a D2. Even with a large lift some trimming will be needed because the wheel openings are smaller on a D1 than a D2.
    Here's my buddy's D2 on a RTE 2" lift and 255/85/16's. No cutting, no gearing. Everything stock except the lift and some HD steering.

i thank you all for the info given !

thats a great lookin truck !
    Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    And that's the difference between a D1 and a D2. Even with a large lift some trimming will be needed because the wheel openings are smaller on a D1 than a D2.
    Here's my buddy's D2 on a RTE 2" lift and 255/85/16's. No cutting, no gearing. Everything stock except the lift and some HD steering.