Thread: Transmission Swap

Lightbulb Transmission Swap

Hey guys,

So last August as I was going from El Paso, TX to Austin, TX I believe my transmission blew. The car started making a high pitched noise and got to high RPM which I guess means it was stuck in gear and started smoking and smelling burnt. I took the truck back home very slowly and it's been in the garage since. Rather than have it shipped to a Land Rover dealer and pay $10,000.00 to get it done I decided this summer I am going to put in another transmission on my own.

I have a few mechanically inclined buddies that can help so how long would a swap like this take? Also, I was either going to pick up one from Ebay for $200-$400 or Will Tillery (roverguy) for about $450 for 80K miles. What do you recommend I do? I've ordered from will before so I was thinking go with him. Also, while Im down there what other parts should I put in new just to ensure it runs healthy again? New to this so any insights would be much appreciated.

-Jeff

What are you driving?
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.

And how did you determine it was the tranny? If you want help making sure it is the tranny, get back to me.
    Do you have a 4.0 or a 4.6? Makes a difference your don't want to buy the wrong tranny.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm