Thread: 1996 Range Rover 4.6 abs light and traction control light always illuminated

1996 Range Rover 4.6 abs light and traction control light always illuminated

1996 Range Rover 4.6 abs light and traction control light always illuminated
    and doesnt work with poor brakes, if double pump sort of work, basically has no
    servo assist.

Have checked the fault codes with a snap-on code reader, just one stored in
    abs and wont clear:

1,3 - pump running when not switched on

Have checked power to the abs fuses and both relays in the engine bay fuse
    box, both relays work. If power the abs pump it works ok, power the black abs
    relay pump works, only one swithch on brake pedal and works fine.

What does the yellow abs relay control?

Without having a wiring diagram stuck at the moment.

Does the abs system have a ecu? If so where would it be located? Is there any
    way of checking the pressure sensor?

All help appreciated!!

My 2000 has these symptoms when the temp gets close to freezing. My problem seems power and temperature related. Cleaning the corrosion on the ground wire connections from the battery to the two chassis points helped a lot. Putting in the proper size battery helped big time too. Right now once my car has warmed up for a few minutes all these lights go out, my abs and brakes work as intended and the car works without a hitch. Someone suggested my alternator might be marginal. I'm waiting for weather to get above 40 before I start digging deeper as I do not have a garage I can work in.

Quote Originally Posted by Onager View Post
    My 2000 has these symptoms when the temp gets close to freezing. My problem seems power and temperature related. Cleaning the corrosion on the ground wire connections from the battery to the two chassis points helped a lot. Putting in the proper size battery helped big time too. Right now once my car has warmed up for a few minutes all these lights go out, my abs and brakes work as intended and the car works without a hitch. Someone suggested my alternator might be marginal. I'm waiting for weather to get above 40 before I start digging deeper as I do not have a garage I can work in.
    Thank you for the reply. Certainly worth cleaning ground terminals and trying a new battery but not convinced this will be the problem. Do the ABS ECUs failure much on this model?

Bump