Thread: Custom front bumper

Custom front bumper

Thought I would share pics of my new bumper. I had this fabbed by my good friend Steve, taking some ideas from some of the other custom bumpers out there and a little free license from Steve. One requirement was I wanted as much approach angle as possible and tuck the winch as far back as possible. I only lost a inch compared to the trimmed stock bumper. He moved the push bars closer to facilitate easier pushing capability, ie fallen trees, rigs large animals etc etc. the height of the light savers was a bit higher than we wanted but in the end I liked it, I am planning on some large rally lights for the center, I just threw in my hella 500's for now. The grids will house rigid LED floods fairly soon. And the limb lifter tabs tucked down for less exposure on the turn buckle. More pics as I add all the goodies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Looks like a good job. I'll be interested to see how the winch mount goes as there's a bunch of suspension (tie rods) to get in the way.

Thanks for posting!

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Looks like pretty clean work. Well done. How did you decide to mount the bumper to the frame?
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

I actually had the brush bar lowered as it was too high. There are custom brackets which saddle both sides of the frame rail with grade 8 bolts and nylock nuts. I will get pictures of the mounts.

The winch mount was made to tuck the winch just under the grille. He used a m8000 warn winch to mock it up. I intend to install the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	29413

I like that better
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Nice bumper, always like to see custom stuff, gives others ideas. I had to build my own too, I could not stomach the cost of a new bumper and it seemed like all the good ones where out of sate and the shipping was costly. With a $300 plasma cutter and a 220 Lincoln mig, built my own too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140311_174017.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	30025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140311_174038.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	30026

Nice Bumper whereabouts in California do you Reside.
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s

LA area.