Thread: Repair Stock Rover Bottle Jack?

Repair Stock Rover Bottle Jack?

Hi All,

My stock jack seems to have leaked out all its oil... Is this an easy fix?

Thanks,

--ccec
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Throw it away, they all fail at some point. Best thing to do is go to Sears and buy a good one that won't fail.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

It can be rebuilt. It's not that bad. Save the money, it's a good design.
    Last edited by sactodisco; 02-15-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Rebuilding seems easy enough: take apart, check seals, fill with new oil...?

Good thing I have two of 'em...

--ccec
    '93 LWB, one of many L-R's over the years (GDE bumper w/Warn 8k, Disco axles, RTE 2" springs, Viair)
    1964 88" Truck Cab -- Stolen, then re-appeared locally after 20 yrs
    1966 88" Station Wagon -- Sold
    1967 NADA 109" -- Sold (after I wedged a 300 CID Ford 6 into it)... Help locate! Green 1967 NADA 109
    1990 RRC -- caught fire while wife driving solo... Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by ccec View Post
    Rebuilding seems easy enough: take apart, check seals, fill with new oil...?

Good thing I have two of 'em...

--ccec
    I filled mine with oil and nothing happens when I pump the lever. How do you get the air out if the system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you should check and see if you have oil leaking by the piston. If the oil leaked out and all that was done to repair it was refill with oil. You most likely haven't solved the problem that let all the oil leak out in the fist place.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Well the jack was working perfectly until I accidently opened the release screw too much and it popped out along with all the oil. So I just filled it back up and now it doesnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by nopistons View Post
    Well the jack was working perfectly until I accidently opened the release screw too much and it popped out along with all the oil. So I just filled it back up and now it doesnt work.
    Now as it doesn't work, so what should be done next, so that it might work properly. Does there will be a need to replace the bottle..?
    Last edited by Helenhagan; 04-14-2015 at 11:21 PM.