Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castor Correction debate - please chime in

Castor Correction debate - please chime in

I have been doing my research and bottom line is QT and RTE don't offer the same product. Therefore I come to one of two conclusions:

1. One of them is selling the wrong product or...

2. They are both selling the right product but they are different for a reason....what reason? positive castor versus negative? why would you want that difference on a truck with the same lift? I mean to say, why is the QT with a huge negative castor better than the RTE with a normal positive castor correction?

Here's the issue, castor correction, in a nut shell, is to put the axle back to its original position in relation to the centerline axis of the axle itself. Confusing I know, the point i am tryign to make, is that QT and RTE offer radius arms that are in opposite direction castor correction. They aren't the same.

That being said, what about the pinion angle, if I lift 5" but castor correct to normal positive, my pinion angle will be crazy and will require a double/double (mmm...cheeseburgers) driveshaft right?

Any input is appreciated. The pictures show an RTE Arm at "4.25" and a QT Arm at "3" , but look at them, the angle relative to the frame mount on both is completely opposite, what the hell??? I understand the pictures aren't the exact same angle, but something isn't right . . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25F6EBDC-2666-4E84-AAEE-0E4F20881B39-34395-000024C81BEB9110.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	269.8 KB 
ID:	29225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	29226
    Last edited by badfysh; 01-17-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

So, not an engineer here, but could it be that the QT return the truck axle to stock (and yes, heavy angles at the drive shaft) but the RTE have decided to use the arms to correct drive shaft alignment not "return to stock?"

On RTE's say "Correct your Discovery II pinion angle in the front to match your suspension lift."

QT says "QT 3 Castor Corrected Land Rover Discovery Series ll Radius Arm for a 2" lift suspension."

Different schools of thought hence different products? IIRC, when I look under my RRC with the RTE I picked up used years ago, the diff / ds angle seems fairly straight. And I remember on their old site saying 3" lift was ok with arms, but a 5" lift needed the castor correction on the swivel balls as well, but that is what I am remembering from when I was deciding on a lift amount.

I know you are working on something. Which problem do you want to solve: Pinion or castor or both? If both, *subscribed*
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

As I see it Castor is important if you are having drive-ability problems on the freeway. With to much positive castor your front wheels will not return to center while on the freeway. With too much negative castor you will get a "death-wobble". If you are not experiencing driving problems on the freeway like wandering or poor lane control, I would not worry to much about castor correction. I am currently trying to fight this. My classic has + 5 deg castor now and drives like *censored**censored**censored**censored*. its range is supposed to be -1/-2 degrees I believe.

As for arms that correct it you would need to make your drive-line angle worse to correct castor with a large lift.
    That is why on my classic I am trying to modify my swivel housings. It would correct castor with out changing drive-line angles.

As for drive-line angles if you have matched angles top to bottom then I was under the impression that single cardon shafts were good. Its when you have unmatched angles that you would need single/ double or double /double cardon shafts.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

So, my tires do not return to center, which would seem to be as you describe. RTE correct pinion, QT castor I bet.

RTE used to make a swivel kit: Found this:

"On lift heights of 3” and greater, match RTE Welding & Fabrication HD radius arms with Caster Corrected Swivel Balls for the perfect driveline setup. Eliminate vibration AND return steering caster to spec! For 2” lifts, Caster Corrected Swivel Balls alone will return your vehicle to factory specifications without causing any driveline vibrations BUT is not required."

But I do not see the castor corrected swivel balls being offered on the site anymore. Maybe an offline request. Discussion on Dweb a long time ago here!

I believe that RTE are Castor and the QT are drive-line.

I am hopefully going to get tim cooper to make me some castor swivel balls.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

Quote Originally Posted by ciwhamc View Post
    I believe that RTE are Castor and the QT are drive-line.

I am hopefully going to get tim cooper to make me some castor swivel balls.
    Is Timm making these or are they being done thru the group his brake kits come from (Roam)? If he does do this, I'd talk about a set as well for the green truck as well. I have my Timm Sliders and love them. I have suffix A axles, does he make them for series already?

Hmm, looks like my post from yesterday didn't go through. The comparison pic in Joe's post shows my TRAILING ARMS from RTE. Since we're talking about RADIUS ARMS this thread made me go through my old emails and I found this info:

Brenton,

Your radius arms will be clocked at 4.25 degree - we have found this works best for caster and pinion angle.

Thanks,

Bill
    Here are the details of my lift that I provided to RTE- 3" RTE springs, 1" rear spacers w/ D1 spring perch, 1-1/8" front spacers

When inquiring about the lengthening of the arms here is what Bill said:

This is a common question I get. Yes we have lengthened (approx 1") them to ensure they push the axle back into the center of the wheel well, the center of the wheel well is the location the axle needs to be for all suspension components to work and align up properly. Some manufactures of these parts only clock the arms for degrees and do not add any length or clearance thus the axle gets pulled back. Hope this has answered your question.
    And here is the comparison pic of the stock, RTE, and QT radius arms. I'm not sure why the angle is so much greater for the trailing arms. I didn't realize the difference in angles until I dug up this pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radius Arms.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	817.6 KB 
ID:	29248
    Last edited by Disco2Guy; 01-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

Somebody cut and paste.

That picture does not seem that different. I wonder what a 3" lift DII angle check would find. It can't be very much off.

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    Somebody cut and paste.

That picture does not seem that different. I wonder what a 3" lift DII angle check would find. It can't be very much off.
    ??? You want to see the RTE trailing arm in the radius arm pic too? I can do that...

Attachment 29249
    Last edited by Disco2Guy; 01-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

Actually I wanted a picture of bacon with the radius arms. Wow, 12 hour workdays and 4 hour commutes really got you down huh?