Thread: D2 Heavy Duty Radius Arms 3

D2 Heavy Duty Radius Arms 3

Good morning everyone. It's been sometime since I have been around. My truck has had several issues over the past year and a half not to mention I was traveling quite a bit for work last summer. Blah blah blah. The point is, I am close to having my truck done. I have a few minor things still but the truck is drivable and able to go on trips (once the rear shocks arrive hopefully this week).

This thread however is about a problem I had along the way in the "rebuild". No real option for a castor corrected Radius Arm other than QT - overpriced in my opinion for what you get. Some of you may know from Facebook that I tried a small company out of NY that said they had something but I got garbage - in their defense, they did provide a 2/3 refund. Well, as with the heavy duty motor mounts, I got frustrated and tired of the hassle, soooo, I have decided to make my own heavy duty radius arms.

The construction is going to be a heim joint at the frame end, and two uniballs at the axle end. The arm itself will be made from 2" OD DOM x .25" wall and will have .5" ribs for added strength. I have not decided on a finish yet as I am still looking for local vendors to zinc plate, cad plate, powder coat, etc. Cost is an issue here because of such a small order. I may end up using a spray on coating that I will do here in my shop. I do not have the capability or expertise to stick TIG this product, they will be wire fed MIG welded and post weld clean-up (grinding, re-weld, etc.) will be performed. As you may recall my quality requirements on the motor mounts, it won't be anything that doesn't pass my criteria or my worst critic, Lisa's criteria, for quality.

I am confident I can make these for about $550 10% a pair depending on order amounts. I am curious if anyone is interested as I obviously would prefer to order all at once. For comparison, QT arms sell for $550 WITHOUT the bushings, so even if you get poly bushings, expect to pay another $75-150 and if you get heims/uniballs, expect to pay another $150. So they are definitely more expensive. Besides that, you have to go custom.

Last, I don't really want to post pictures until I am in production, then people can feel free to copy if they so choose. But until then, I'd like to keep the design to myself. It's a very simple, yet very strong design. It's not rocket science.
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

I thought RoverTym made castor corrected D2 radius arms?
    Regardless, good luck with the project!

I don't know that they do or don't. They have them listed but show a pic of D1/RRC arms. Also, they charge $375 plus $200 core for a franken arm, they cut the stock arm in half and weld a "box" to the end. Works fine I guess, I have never heard any complaints, but SUPER heavy and I personally don't like this mixed look. Yes, you get the $200 back after you send in your stock arms. Also, they still use a stock style busing so again, you aren't getting the same upgrade.

Mine will weigh in at 30-32 pounds each. Much less than stock or RTE.

As for bushings as a fix, I need to correct the length as well, not just castor. This is an issue at 3"-5" of lift - not so much for less than 3". Plus, part of the goal is to reduce weight and keep strength.

I do appreciate the comments. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    I thought RoverTym made castor corrected D2 radius arms?
    Regardless, good luck with the project!
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

Here is a comparison pic for the RTE trailing arms. I just got radius & trailing arms from RTE a few months ago. They are heavy for sure because the each plate that is welded is as thick as the stock arm, making them almost 3X thicker. Mine are castor corrected to 4.25* according to Bill at RTE, based on my lift; RTE 3" springs and 1" spacers on all four corners. They are lengthened (because of the cuts), but only to stock length. I had assumed they would be a little longer than stock to get the axle centered again, but maybe I'm not clear on what's needed for this? What do you think about that Joe?

My truck is still rockin' the BLR motor mounts! I hope you get enough orders to make these arms Joe, I'm curious to see the design you've come up with.

Good luck!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	29138
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

Brenton,

I am going to do a bit more research on positive/negative castor etc. Mostly because look at how different the QT arms are from the RTE arms. Not just design but the actual angle. I have serious doubts about the QT's. The RTE's looks more like what they are supposed to be get the correct Castor. Either way my design works.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco2Guy View Post
    Here is a comparison pic for the RTE trailing arms. I just got radius & trailing arms from RTE a few months ago. They are heavy for sure because the each plate that is welded is as thick as the stock arm, making them almost 3X thicker. Mine are castor corrected to 4.25* according to Bill at RTE, based on my lift; RTE 3" springs and 1" spacers on all four corners. They are lengthened (because of the cuts), but only to stock length. I had assumed they would be a little longer than stock to get the axle centered again, but maybe I'm not clear on what's needed for this? What do you think about that Joe?

My truck is still rockin' the BLR motor mounts! I hope you get enough orders to make these arms Joe, I'm curious to see the design you've come up with.

Good luck!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (3).JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	29138
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

Brenton,

Do you have pics of the install?
    1995 LWB
    2004 D2
    2008 E350
    2013 Impreza

BLR #000
    NCLR #42
    SCLR #592

Quote Originally Posted by badfysh View Post
    Brenton,

Do you have pics of the install?
    Sorry, that was the only pic I got that day.
    Last edited by Disco2Guy; 01-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips