Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauging Interest: NCLR Shaver Lake 2013 Snow Run

Gauging Interest: NCLR Shaver Lake 2013 Snow Run

Here is the link to the signup sheet. Just post if you're in or out and I'll update the list.

Looks like another SCLR group will be joining us this year! Campsite reservations are at the bottom of this post.

Time to start thinking about trips for 2013! The first being the 6th Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run. The current date is scheduled for February 8-10, 2013.

More details (camp reservations, trip waivers, etc.) to come before the Official Thread.

Here are the details if you haven't been on this trip before.

Description:
    Shaver Lake is located at the 5,500 ft. elevation, one hour northeast of Fresno in central California. The area is known for abundant outdoor activities: snow skiing, snowmobiling, water skiing, fishing, and backpacking, horseback riding, 4-wheeling and camping.

Camp Edison has heated bathrooms with shower facilities (tokens can be purchased with quarters on the way in), and electrical outlets for each campsite. The breakers can trip easily, so please talk to your camp mates about any heaters or equipment with high power needs you may be using.

Trip Details:
    Location: Camp Edison Trip Leader: Brenton Corns (Disco2Guy) Trail Leader: Brenton Corns (Disco2Guy), TBD
    Current Weather Conditions at Shaver Lake

Camp Edison Phone: 559-841-3134
    P.O.Box 600 FAX: 559-841-3193
    42696 Tollhouse Rd.
    Shaver Lake, CA. 93664

Map & GPS of Area:
    Camp Edison 37° 7'19.64"N 119°18'53.75"W
    Shaver Lake Snow Run Trail Head 37° 4'6.56"N 119°10'52.67"W
    Bald Mountain Trail Head 37° 6'5.17"N 119°10'11.50"W

Expected Trail conditions:
    Expect deep snow (if it ever starts to rain!), stay on the trial at all times or you will get very stuck very quickly. There is always the possibility of body damage. Ruts, woops, drifts, ice, are all common ways to crunch a panel. If you stop forward movement, do not spin your wheels. The friction melts the snow and then freezes into ice, reducing the quality of the trail surface.

Vehicle Requirements:
    Chains- Chains may be required on the way to Camp Edison. If you have street tires and plan to hit the trail, you will need two sets of chains. If you have not installed chains before, please test fit them before the trip. Check for clearance issues around brake or ABS lines as well as tire wells during articulation. Stock vehicles (without chains) should remain at Camp Edison and find someone to ride shot-gun with on Bald Mountain.
    Tires- All vehicles should be fitted with All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires and have a full sized spare. A tire repair kit is recommended.
    Recovery Points- Strong recovery points front and rear are a must. Expect to pull someone (or yourself) from either end of your truck multiple times.

Required Safety & Recovery Equipment:
    Fire extinguisher, CB (channel 7) or FRS (channel 7), or HAM radio for communication
    Hi-Lift and/or X-Jack (at least one vehicle carry one), winch (every other vehicle is optimal), recovery strap (each vehicle should have their own)
    Metal shovel (shovel snow), first aid kit, repair tools and spares to suit your vehicle, tire gauge and tire pump
    Emergency overnight pack of food, water, blanket

Clothing Suggestions:
    Snow/winter clothing- layer with base clothing that wicks sweat, polar fleece, wind/water repellant shell jacket or winter jacket; winter gloves, hat or beanie, and snow boots. Be prepared for rain/sleet as well. Sunscreen and sunglasses are recommended.

Food / Meals:
    Meal plans: BYO, or plan with others
    After the trail we stop at the local pizza joint in Shaver Lake for a warm delicious sit down dinner.

Detailed Plan:
    TBD

Misc Items to Bring:
    Camera and extra batteries, winter tent, sleeping bag and blankets, extra garbage bags, GPS unit, map of the area and compass, drinking water, fire wood

Brenton (Disco2Guy) #227 (reservation confirmed)
    Griff (GriffSC)
    Steve (esteban)

Lutzi (Lutz) #229 (reservation confirmed)
    Ron (RonCT110)

Colin (ColinB) #231G (reservation confirmed)
    Paul (PFreeman)

Pedram (Pedram) #230G (reservation requested)
    Mark (drafdog) - 1 Adult + 2 kids -
    Keanan

Chuck (DesertCrawler) #226 (reservation requested) - 2 Adults + 3 kids -
    Dan (TigerDan) TBD
    Last edited by Disco2Guy; 01-24-2013 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Put TigerDan on injured reserve
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

I'm down. As far as I know either date will work for me.

Cool. I should mention that my preference for dates is option 1 (Fri-Sat).

edit: Updated first post to begin with link to signup sheet.
    Last edited by Disco2Guy; 11-24-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

I'm down, and good for either date option.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Sorry everyone, I need to shift the date for the trip. The venue where my g/f is having her 6th Anniversary show double booked her original date, and rescheduled it for the 16th of February.

So, can we shift the date back by week and make it Feb. 8-10?

Sorry for any conflicts this may cause.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

AFAIK I have nothing else scheduled for this date either, so I think I'm down with it...
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

I would love to go and actually hit the trail unlike last year! If I go, I will be in the f250. How many rover do you think it will take to get it unstuck?!?
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

Hey, at least you made it for pizza Hope you can make the trail too Jeremy. Getting the Ferd out will depend on the amount of snow.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

This is true! Mmmmm....pizza. Okay, I'm in!
    I think it wouldn't be a problem for me to go up early Saturday morning and stay the night in the local hotel. The wife,of course, not interested in going, but might have a friend tag along.
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb

Quote Originally Posted by jerp209 View Post
    .................How many rover do you think it will take to get it unstuck?!?.............
    Jeremy...........the answer to that question is a variable. It depends upon snow depth, real time weather conditions, how many people you have to pay, give parts to, &/or the number of people which you promise to buy pitchers for.
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."