Thread: Lowering drivers seat - any ideas?

Lowering drivers seat - any ideas?

Hi I'm 6'6" and off road I get bumped around a bit more than my passengers. Especially with the sun roof right in the middle of my head!! Ouch.
    I have a 94 and a 95, the 95 doesn't go off road, still got the air suspension etc. but the 94 does, got all the of road extras except headroom!
    Does anyone know if there's a kit or a way to lower the seat without screwing up the electrical units under the drivers seat?
    Two inches would do, but it looks tight under the seat.
    If it can't be done I'll trade up to a disco.
    Cheers
    Pete
    Last edited by big pete; 11-13-2012 at 04:05 PM.

I don't have the thread but I believe that has been talked about when another tall gent lowered his seat height. When I was reading his post, I recall he went to great depths (pun intended) to shrink the lower seat frame as well as lower the track mounts (ie cutting metal away and re-welding the body that holds the brackets). Certainly, lower a seat a couple inches is easier that the desired 4+. Best wishes.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Lose seat adjustment its not a prob
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    I don't have the thread but I believe that has been talked about when another tall gent lowered his seat height. When I was reading his post, I recall he went to great depths (pun intended) to shrink the lower seat frame as well as lower the track mounts (ie cutting metal away and re-welding the body that holds the brackets). Certainly, lower a seat a couple inches is easier that the desired 4+. Best wishes.
    Thanks for the quick reply, I think that's the way to go, I have welding gear so I'll give it a go, I'm the only one that dries it so if I lose seat adjustment its not a major problem
    Cheers
    Pete

I assume, in the absence of your saying so, that you're talking about a Range Rover. If that's the case, there are two things you can do to help your situation. One is to swap the roof for one with no sunroof, along with the non-sunroof headliner. The other is to cut and reweld the seat bases. There's a thread around somewhere that details how it's done.

Edit: I started my reply before anyone else had responded but got called away. By the time I finished and posted, I saw that others had already told you about the seat base mods. I am editing to clarify that of course the non-sunroof lid only applies to SWB RRs, not to LWB ones, which, as far as I know, all have sunroofs.
    Last edited by Granny; 11-13-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

Yes its a classic, apologies for not making it clear, I Googled it to death without any solution, so its going to be a combination of welding and taking some stuffing out of the seat.
    Thanks for your quick response
    Cheers
    Pete

Take a look here, start at post 17 (actually the entire thread makes a good read):

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread....n-Of-My-88-RRC
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

SWB or LWB? I have a SWB non sunroof lid and headliner core. Saving it for a project but could be coaxed. Also, manual seats add 1.5". I'm sure ASofM could chime in with specifics as I've sold him both a non sunroof set up AND manual seats.
    West Coast purveyor of early Land Rover Parts
    1995 LWB Aspen Silver Edition. AKA DudeMobile...4.6 chipped w cam & headers...4" lift with 255/85R16 tires (33")...ARB lockers front & rear...Etc, etc, etc.