Thread: RoverTracks

RoverTracks

I recently had an axle failure. The problem was not the axle it was my trucks setup. My trutracks have no cross-pin in the diff. The inner axle shaft slid in the diff to far. which lead to the failure of the splines on the axle. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0237.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	28963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0238.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	28964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0239.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	28965

Keith worked with me to find a solution. He sent me a replacement for the worn parts with a new design that will not have the same problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0257.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	28966

I was very happy with the service I was provided. I would recommend rovertracks to anyone. They have a great product.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

I'm surprised they didn't have the split ring in the original design. That's how land rover did it on the stock shafts.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Right on.
    04 Disco II Trail Rig
    99 Disco II- driveway art
    68 Baja perunner
    (NCLR053)(SCLR903)
    http://www.pacificadventuretours.com

I agree Keith gives way better service than those lot in SLC and he only does part time
    Last edited by SloHybrid; 11-01-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    95 4.6 Range Rover LWB 25th anniversary (Rovage)50230 cam/RPI ECU
    04 Range Rover
    87 white RRC
    93 Range Rover LWB Crawler 4.6

Traversing Defense Mine Waterfall
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqczzhsWOh8

NCLR #93

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't have the split ring in the original design. That's how land rover did it on the stock shafts.

They had a ring but i think the spring tension was a little low. I probably should have stretched the spring a bit.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC
    93 LWB RRC 3 inch rte lt-230, 35x12.5/15 bfg km2, GBR 4.14 with trutracs front and rear, Rovertracks front Hd axles and cv's, Ashcroft Hd rear axles,
    Rte rear trailing arms,Warn 8k, Custom bumpers front and rear, Flowmaster exhaust ,custom sliders GRB F+R driveshaft, RTE steering links. 12 in Bilstien 7100's

I have had the same problem (inner axle shaft attempting to exit the CV) with a set of Keith's Longtracks. Was considering getting a different retaining ring next time I tear it down. However, with an ARB in front, the shaft hasn't completely separated and been catastrophic.

A recommendation I got on Pirate was to put a tack weld or two on the splines at the 3rd member end to prevent the shaft from moving too far. Can't say I'm a fan of that idea, but it would work.
    '94 Disco - Lots of mods and dents, scratches, and scars.

That's what I am going to do on the side that did not fail.
    NCLR VP HAM KJ7RRC