Thread: Aftermarket radio woes

Aftermarket radio woes

first off let me say i have read all the articles i can find on this forum and others. despite other people fixes they have failed to work for me. this is my first ever aftermarket radio.

i have a 97 disco(manual trans) that i replaced my not working stock head unit with a new aftermarket radio. i heavly researched ordered all recommened install harness adapters. after installing said radio with key off i hear a whine that follows the blower motor. key on engine running i have a louder whine that follows engine rpms. first thing i thought crap i have a bad ground. only able to find one ground(front battery neg. to rh front frame rail) i checked it, no ohms, voltage drop, good check ground from frame to terminal at frame good. since i only found one ground i added three grounds various places ensuring good chassis and body ground. still a whine. i read that a ground loop isolator SHOULD be the last resort. so i caved in and went to radio shack installed the g.l.i. what do ya know it didnt fix anything same exact noise. i then thought to splice into the radio ground in between the aftermarket radio harness and adapter harness to a good ground on trans tunnel. nothing. test alternator with a vat40, no bad dioeds 89a output. also tried grounding out rear amp to chassis and battery by spliching in to amp ground. double and triple check wiring. the adapters only use two of the factory plugs. one goes to the 4 rcas on the radio other i soldered in to radio harness per wiring diagram i got with radio. so what am i missing?
    Last edited by 97discosd; 10-03-2012 at 01:27 PM.

When i had my aftermarket deck put in the shop that did the install had to bypass the rear door sub amp because it was causing problems. something to check
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Well I've already found that if I disabled the rear amp by cutting the blue wire(amp power on) the noise is gone. But I get no audio at all from speakers (ie music ect).

I may have no choice but eliminate the rear amp and hard wire all speakers to radio. I'm hoping to not have to do this.

No one else had ran into this?

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

On mine I found that the factory wiring was picking up the interference.
    So I ran new speaker wire down to the amp connector and spliced in there, bypassing the amp.
    I also ran a separate amp for the rear subwoofer. (which I rewired to mono from stereo.)

Later
    Aidan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-G S3 using Tapatalk 2
    Aidan
    2006 LR3 V8
    1988 RRC 4.2
    1996 D1 4.6 (For Sale...)

1960 Morris Minor Traveler (1275 )
    1969 MKII Cortina 1600 Delux

1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
    1999 A8 Quattro

1983 GTI (in surgery for 16V)
    and a few others for parts.......

Quote Originally Posted by 97discosd View Post
    Well I've already found that if I disabled the rear amp by cutting the blue wire(amp power on) the noise is gone. But I get no audio at all from speakers (ie music ect).
    I think it's odd that cutting the power supply to the rear amp kills all speakers output. I'd have a difficult time designing a system that would have that ability.

There's a reason the Stereo Installers run all new wiring. Many problems are cured and avoided with new, properly sized/shielded/routed wires.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Haha I agree. I currently finding all parts needed to "properly" wire everything in to radio.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

That sucks. I just ran all new wiring (larger size anyway) and RCA's to ensure I knew every little wire issue that could go wrong.
    KF7KOY
    2005 LR3
    1994 DI (ROKROVR)
    1991 RRC
    www.azlro.org