Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 95 Classic Build

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB26 View Post
    Thanks mike. I have a long way to go.
    Bad and good. Bad it will take so long for you, good for me to watch and enjoy!
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Thanks guys.

Well a lot of work went into the truck today. To bad it wasn't anything fun. I got rid of all the rusted out spots. Welded in a square plate where some rust was and welded in some 1/8" 2"X2" angle to cap off the rear of the floor. Its super strong and wont rot out again. I also cut off the rear brace/hitch out. Its was a complete hack job.

While i was at it i torched an scraped off all of the sound deadening. I also cut out tabs and studs out of the rear. I plan on building some pretty trick storage areas on either of the back.

Behind the drivers side passenger wheel well it was pretty haggard. It was pushed up about 1-2" and creased pretty bad. A lot of hammering later i got it pretty close to smoothed out.

I have to add a metal strip on the new area for wether stripping, but other than that she's all fixed up. Ill be spraying in some bed liner soon sound deaden and keep it rust free. Not to mention clean up will be easy.

Mmm, '95 SWB, my dream truck! A bit rare, most '95s were LWB. And black like my '91...looks like you've got a cool project going there. A suggestion though...don't powdercoat, instead etch, prime and paint with VHT rollbar and chassis epoxy paint. Much easier to touch up than powdercoat. I've seen too many powdercoated protection goodies that got scratched (and your sliders will, if you're using 'em!) and then start to rust out underneath the powdercoating. For example, you should see the pile of rusted out RRC brushbars in my yard that look nice at a glance but you can peel the powdercoating off of the rusty metal.
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
    Mmm, '95 SWB, my dream truck! A bit rare, most '95s were LWB. And black like my '91...looks like you've got a cool project going there. A suggestion though...don't powdercoat, instead etch, prime and paint with VHT rollbar and chassis epoxy paint. Much easier to touch up than powdercoat. I've seen too many powdercoated protection goodies that got scratched (and your sliders will, if you're using 'em!) and then start to rust out underneath the powdercoating. For example, you should see the pile of rusted out RRC brushbars in my yard that look nice at a glance but you can peel the powdercoating off of the rusty metal.
    Hey Dan,
    Thanks for the heads up on the VHT. I have done some research and im coming up with the same conclusion as to paint vs powder coat. It makes sense.
    This is my first Rover. I was pretty dead set on a 95 SWB. Thanks.

Glad to help. I have so much time and work invested in my '91 that I'm not likely to build another truck at this point, unless I happen across the right SWB at the right price (really cheap, like me!)
    '91 RRC-4.2, R380, LT230, GDE bumper with Smittybuilt 8K winch, Custom 3" lift, 33's, Equipe trailing arms, Rock Ware sliders, Custom diff guards, Maxyedor HD steering, TT/Detroit, Rovertracks axles
    '61 Series II 88"
    '95 D90
    '94 RRC County LWB

"There are three kinds of men: The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -Will Rogers

I got some more work done on the fenders. I think they are coming out pretty nice.

I made some card board templates.

Here it is with the plates tacked in. Im sure most of you guys can identify that i used Defender turn signals. I though it looked good on a Defender, so they should look good on my RRC. Plus they were $19 new for the pair.

Side shot. That fender took a long time to get right. I have a few areas i want to re-shape (orange paint pen).

Next im going to cut out the bottom of the battery box as 1/2 of it is dead space. Ill cut out the oem spot for the headlights as well to clean it up. More soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB26 View Post
    That looks AWESOME. Not something I usually see, with tube AND retained fenders. I like this!
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Its been quite some time sense iv worked on the RRC. I have to keep moving around the truck or i get really burned out.

So the rear of the frame was in pretty bad shape. You can see in the photos above of all the hack job from the previous owner. The stock bumper location and how they mount a bumper is pretty strange and weak. So i decided to cut it all off and make a much stronger and simple set up. This was quite the job but i think it was really needed. Really strong set up as well.

After i cut off all the crap. next i smoothed it all out. This side was the worst.

All done. They took a lot of work to get right. Im pretty happy with how they turned out. Now i can build a rear bumper.

More soon i hope....

Very nice work so far. I love it!! Top notch work, too.

Colin

Quote Originally Posted by cnfowler View Post
    Very nice work so far. I love it!! Top notch work, too.

Colin
    Thanks Colin. Im going to take my time with this build. Im going for a well designed/built that i can through anything at and be comfortable. Hopefully i can make some time for the RRC this weekend.