Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: 95 Classic Build

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    Looking good. I like the carbon stuff you do. All those details really make a difference. Too much orange will make you look like a San Fran giants fan, (maybe not a bad thing if you are one). I have the store bought balancing heads in my 35 bfg's and I still had a bad wobble most of it was worn bushings in the front. Also I found that the beads are really sensitive. To much is no good and to little is also no good. Wheel weights are ugly but have worked best for me. Also be sure that the air that goes into your tires is dry because moisture can cause them to clump and that's no good either. I web I had the time, energy and resources to make the disco as nice as your RR.
    What axles are you looking at?
    I hear ya. I really just want orange wheels. Seems like some folks say I need to add more. I think this is all the orange she is going to get. Yeah I just wanted to try the BBs. I will most likely go with standard weights. Or have them spin balanced and add the correct amount of BBs. Balancing is going to cost me about $30 per tire. The H1 wheels make it super easy to add BBs. I figured for $20 id give it a shot. Im not 100% sure but the tentative plan is Rover axels with a Toy conversion.

So I went over to my local independent rover shop. He has given me a few pointers over that last year. Sense I'm having some death wobble issues I figured I drive over to him and have him take a look at it on a rack.... and I feel like a dumb ass.... Although I feel like I have put a wrench on every nut and bolt I never touched the steering. Almost every bolt that touched a steering component was hand tight or loose . Its kinda crazy though. The steering never felt very sloppy. (Keep in mind I bought the truck with all the steering upgrades). He also pointed out my rear drive shaft was built upside down. So I'll need to press the uni-joins out and filp it around. All of the bolts to each drive shaft were loose as well. The previous owner did quite a *censored**censored**censored**censored* job on everything he touched. So I tightened and loc tight everything. I went from only being about to drive up to about 35mph to 55mph. Well thats as fast as I could go just around where I live. Needless to say I put a wrench on everything under the truck. Feeling somewhat relived.

I had a similar experience with a disco I purchased. I guess you can count yourself lucky that you found it when you did. A friend of mine was road testing his bronco and out he went to make a turn the wheel just spun freely and the rig went straight ahead. Ended up being the steering u-joint on the column. Bet it was an creepy feeling.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

On a side note I have a question for you. I see you have the RTE 5" lift. How does your rig drive?

In what sense? It handles completely differently than when it was stock. I have the full 5 inch kit including the corrected swivel balls and I think they are necessary. For a heavy, tall SUV on 35" tires I think it handles pretty well. I don't run sway bars and the only time I notice it is when my roof rack is all loaded up. It has the HD springs so its a bit stiffer than the stock springs but my wife doesn't complain, and isn't that the real test? On the trail it runs great the extra height really helps clear those tall rocks.
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    In what sense? It handles completely differently than when it was stock. I have the full 5 inch kit including the corrected swivel balls and I think they are necessary.
    Agree 100% for me to run my 5-6 inch lift the swivel balls had to be re drilled.
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s

That is one great rig!
    Aaron

"Life is to be lived.If you have to support yourself, you had bloddy well better find some way that is going to be interesting....And you don't do that by sitting around wondering about yourself"
    -Katherine Hepburn

Shawn, how's the Rover? No updates recently has me itchin' for some news.

Colin

Oh my god!!! I did read this thing from the first page to here.... HoLLY ORANGE! Yeah Shawn as a fabricator I'm impressed and give you props. I haven't been on this forum in over a year and missed out on a few things. Glad I rolled up on this.

Is it just me or do all DIY guys go for LED's? I love it. Carbon fiber , LEDs, painting, melting steel together .... What's not to love about his thread? Giving me some idears.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"