Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 95 Classic Build

95 Classic Build

Hey guys. Im new here and new to Land Rovers. Finally got my hands on a RRC after selling my pre-runner truck. Its a 95 in decent shape. I was hoping to get a 95 because of the updates. I got a pretty good deal on the truck. I lucked out and found a classic that had a good base to start with. Rust is pretty minimal. Motor and tranny have had a recent over haul.

This is what came with the RRC.

OME Shocks
    3" Springs
    Equipe Trailing Arms
    Radius Arms (not sure brand)
    Steering Stabilizer OME
    HD Upgraded Steering/panhard (not sure brand)
    ARB Bumper
    X9 Winch Synthetic Line
    Stainless Brake Lines
    Borla Exhaust
    New 285/75/16 (33"s) Mud Rovers
    LT230
    Disco Conversion Drive Shafts

Last edited by ShawnB26; 07-10-2013 at 07:30 AM.

My plan was to make the tube fenders first. I wanted to make the fenders "bolt on" and i couldn't find a way to tie them solid. So i decided to make the rock sliders first and tie them in to the sliders.

So heres is what i came up with on the rock sliders. They bolt in and are super solid. Im a big advocate for a clean install. I made them bolt on instead of weld in because i want to powder coat them and have them easily removable.

I used 2"X3" rectangle tube for the main structure. 1.5" square for the legs. 2.5"X2.5" 3/16" angle for the mounts and 1 5/8" 120 DOM for the tube. I used 1/2" grade 8 hardware. Id say all in all the a pretty strong set up.

After i got the rock sliders finished i started on the front fenders. I got about half way and the ol ADD kicked in. I was thinking about the rear of the truck and what i wanted to do. Next thing i know every single thing except the rear side windows was left on the back half of the cab....

I have had quite a few people on Pirate and other forums say im crazy for pulling apart my RRC. "Its too clean". Its really not.

Busted up rears removed. When i bought the truck the owner had a spare set of rear fenders.

I though the tail light portion of the rear fender was welded to the truck and there not. Im going to have to get a new right side.

While i was pulling everything out i found that there was a lot of rust on the rear part of the floor.

I cut it all out. Ill box it in with some 2x2 angle. I also found a random area near the right wheel well that needed to be cut out.

Im going to remove the rear portion (about 8") off the rear of the frame and weld on some straight/usable area to attach a bumper to. Someone did a serious hack job here... Check out these sweet "welds".

I should have the front tube fenders done this weekend. More soon...

I got a little further on my front fenders. Im going to add a few mounts. But this is the basic mock up. Ill plate it (obviously add cut outs for the lights) and the open section behind the light area. Im also going to cut down the area where the battery box is as its dead space and ill have the batteries in the back. Ill be using part of the original fender to cover the open area near the door. Ill have them finished up over the weekend.

That is pretty cool. Watching for sure!
    It's about people and the Land Rovers that own them.
    01 DII : 95 RRC LWB : 88 RRC SWB

Are you getting rid of any of the old stuff by any chance (springs, shocks, radius/trailing arms)?

And I feel ya on the rust... I'm putting floors in mine right now.
    '04 Disco
    '89 RRC

Quote Originally Posted by astateofmike View Post
    That is pretty cool. Watching for sure!
    Thanks mike. I have a long way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitmo04 View Post
    Are you getting rid of any of the old stuff by any chance (springs, shocks, radius/trailing arms)?

And I feel ya on the rust... I'm putting floors in mine right now.
    I actually will be selling all of the suspension, steering, wheels, tires, axles etc. I plan to put some Volvo portals under it.

As far as the rust goes I never thought I would be restoring a 95... Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB26 View Post
    I actually will be selling all of the suspension, steering, wheels, tires, axles etc. I plan to put some Volvo portals under it.
    Sounds like quite the project.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnB26 View Post
    As far as the rust goes I never thought I would be restoring a 95... Oh well.
    Good thing you've got the welder handy. I'll be following this one, for sure.
    '04 Disco
    '89 RRC

You have some skills around a welder, my friend. Watching!
    Jeremy P.

91' RRC Hunter Edition
    1995 RRC lwb