Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1995 Discovery 1 Heads /w ARP studs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1995 Discovery 1 Heads /w ARP studs

Hey guys. I figured it's time to get into it. I'm going to start working on my D1 soon.

I'm doing a head gasket replacement with ARP studs. I should wait till I start but I can't wait. I wanted to document everything step by step and do it with pictures so everyone can see. I wanted to read someone's past experience for the lack of mine and I can't find anything out there.

I only see people write that they did start the work and nothing else. I wanted pictures and a full report. So I figured I would do one myself. Here it is starting today!

This is my baby. Day one.

Things I need to start the work. I ordered a set of machined heads from John Gadd that look like this.

I ordered a set of ARP studs for it as well. I think this will stop the replacement in the future. We will see.

This is the gasket set with the ARP studs.

Also added to the list was this

Soon I will take some pictures of it when I start the motor up and test out things before really tearing into it. I want to do a video of the car running now and then I will do one after the work is done.
    Last edited by ToyDisco1; 09-30-2012 at 06:54 PM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

I should add that I did try the LIQUID fix and it didn't work for me. So I have no choice at this point but to dig into it and replace the seals. I hate hard work.

I went to the store and bought this stuff called K-seal.

I asked the store were they sold this stuff if this really works and they said yes because there was no complaints.
    So I gave it a shot.
    Guess not! I went back and I told them what happened. The same guy I bought it from told me that it should of worked but if it's a big enough hole that nothing can really fix it. And the only way to do that at this point was to replace the seals.

So I went surfing and found a solution. I'm going to use ARP studs instead of the stretch bolts and use machined heads to avoid down time. And finding out that I can get a set of these from John for cheap was a win win deal. Paying a machine shop would be the same cost. So I came to the conclusion that it would be worth buying another set of heads. Now the studs are better because they don't stretch. And finding the torque specs is kinda fun. I hear 80lbs and 60lbs. So I'm going with 60lbs first.
    Last edited by ToyDisco1; 09-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

ARP studs are definitely the way to go. There's a reason why just about everyone uses them from hotrods down to daily drivers.

I'm looking forward to this writeup. It's like an adventure from the relative comfort of my computer chair!

Colin

i will be watching this!
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s

Got some minor work started today but I wasn't really trying to work. I did get more involved after a few hours. But doing pictures and video at the same time didn't help. I'm just one person.

So here we go!!!

Before removing the plug wires I noted the firing order just to make sure it was right and going back to the same order.

This was the right one and I started working again.

Now to remove the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor.

Then off to the intake

NOTICE SOMETHING FUNNY?????????

WHERE IS THE GASKET HERE???????

Its getting late and I need to finish this part at least today. So I started removing all the wires from everything I could get out. Injectors and sensors.

Finally I got the fuel rail out and that was my ending for tonight.

Here are some videos I took at the same time. They explain themselves. CLick on each one. I'll edit this all later. I might have some crap I need to remove but you'll get the picture.

THIS ONE IS THE INTERESTING ONE!!! VVVVV click below!!!!!!!!!!!------------------

Looks like my job so far. Time to inspect those cylinder sleeves to make sure they haven't slipped [because I missed that step and had to do a redo! ]

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Yeah I'm going to wire wheel the surface lightly to clean things up and not damage the metal. I checked all the liners and nothing look bad.

good job!
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s

Just found a burnt piston. Scared the wall as well. I might have to replace the block. I'm not really looking forward to doing this.