Thread: HELP PLEASE - Suggestions for LR3 Improvements

HELP PLEASE - Suggestions for LR3 Improvements

Hi all,

I'm a novice off-roader. Want to get out more often.

I have a 2006 LR3 HSE with heavy duty package that is stock. I'm looking for suggestions on improvements to make that will give me the best "bang for the buck" as far as off-road ability, as well as looks. Also spend a lot of time in Tahoe in the snow during winter.

I'm thinking lift kit, tires, and sliders. Make sense?

Any LR3 guys that can give me specific recommendations and pricing guidance? I live near Walnut Creek in the East Bay, can anyone recommend a shop to do that work close to me?

As far as tires / rims. I have 19 inch, which I believe limits me...is it worth spending the money to go to 18 inch rims for better tire selection?

Thanks to all for suggestions!

Specifically looking for suggestions on brand / budget for:
    • Lift kit
    • 18 inch rims
    • Tires
    • Sliders

I have an 06 L3 with the following.

Sasuqatch Rods because they are adjustable. There is a new device on the market that allows adusting the height from the steering wheel controls. You may want to check that out.
    I currently 275/75 18 Goodyeart MTR with Kevlar. I have also had 285/65 18 Nitto Terra Graplers. All running on the stock 18 inch 10 spoke wheel, the best wheel for the LR3. Options for the 19 inch wheels is pretty much none. The 275/75's rub a little bit on the fender liner when the suspension is fully compressed.
    I have Rover Specialties, Slim Sliders as well as a Mantec sump guard. That is a good start and should let you run most trails with a good spotter.

There are few more armor options if you want to go crazy but for the most parts the sliders and the sump guard will keep you covered.

Is it possible with 2,5" Johnson lift rods , and 30mm wheel spacers to fit 35"x12,5x18" wheels??

The answer is no. I have looked at it. During articulation even my 32" rub in the back. You could do some cutting and possible run 33" but if you drop to access height or have a suspension faliure you will litterally grind to a halt unless you chang the bumpstops. Stick with 32" 275/65/18 Goodyears or Cooper Zeons, or Nittos in 285/60/18. As for 35" it will severly limit your articulation and that is what the LR3 is all about.

If you search this forum as well as ome of the others you will see a couple of trucks that have run air bag spacers from Todco and wheel spacers. There are some risks associated with that though and for my money it is not worth it.

They might be *censored**censored**censored**censored**censored* *censored**censored*s on the internet sometimes but check these guys out http://nclrclub.org/. In real life they are probably decent folks.

Serious get out & wheel with the local club. It's a great way to learn more about your vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Keanan View Post
    They might be *censored**censored**censored**censored**censored* *censored**censored*s on the internet sometimes but check these guys out http://nclrclub.org/. In real life they are probably decent folks.

I'd love to hear more about that! Maybe I should check them out too????
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Where'd ya go keanan??? Talk smack. Check out my profile. Pretty weak Bro. Save the DWEB banter for DWEB. If being pussies means acting mature, polite, family oriented and very pc in all forums, then color me black. Walk into my campsite at midnight unannounced and see how pc I really am.
    Sasquatch Rods, GoodYear Wrangler MTR 275/65/18, ARB BullBar, EP9.0, Hella 4000's Cornering

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Where'd ya go keanan??? Talk smack. Check out my profile. Pretty weak Bro. Save the DWEB banter for DWEB. If being pussies means acting mature, polite, family oriented and very pc in all forums, then color me black. Walk into my campsite at midnight unannounced and see how pc I really am.
    I don't understand. I wasn't meaning anything offensive by my post. The forum filtered my post and replaced the one word with "censored" seven times.

I was just meaning don't let the internet bias your opinion toward the club.
    This thread proves my point, we both come across as being jerks. In real life you are probably a pretty decent person.

I was just suggesting jgiordani go check out NCLR.

I checked out your profile, it is pretty sweet.