Thread: Bridging Ladders

Bridging Ladders

Thought Id share my new toy mounting. Racked my new bridging ladders on spare tire rack.
    There's 2 (four footers)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridgerack.jpg  
    2005 LR3 HSE, Redbourne Wheels, BFG All Terrain T/A K/Os, RS Sliders, Lift Rods, Custom Driverside Rear Swingaway Tire Carrier w/ shovel, ax and highlift mount. ARB Front Bumper, Warn Winch w/ synthetic rope, solinoid mounted in engine bay, Ellis Precision Fairlead (teflon coated and fully covers old roller hole) aux Yellow Top Battery, Rigid Industries 20" LED Light Bar, ARB Magnum hand winch, CO2 Airtank, Center Console Gun Safe, aux LED Cargo Lighting, aux LED Map Lighting, protected by Glock

Those will work well. I've looked at a bunch of bridging ladders before I started building mine. These are by far the lightest weight and yet amazingly strong (in spite of their flex). For getting you out of sand-mud-snow, you'll be set. They will also bridge across narrow gaps or ease you up/down shelves (like a fallen tree).

Here's the heavy metal bridging ladders I built (sitting on a yellow ledge for a load test). They work great in their 44 inch lengths and they link together to make 7 foot spans or up/down A-frame to jump a fallen tree. I have 4 sections that tuck away under the truck (in the void between the frame and body of my Discovery). The draw back is they're pigs by weight. The mounting I chose could trap them when they're needed - but otherwise are out of sight and take up no usable space.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attachment.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	28589
    Last edited by Green Achers; 08-21-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

By the way, here's a thread on the topis.
    Bridging Ladders

Green Achers, I would have loved to fab my own like you but they would have been on the roof for sure. I'd love to fab a roof rack myself but I'm trying to keep the weight off the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unracked1.jpg   unracked2.jpg  
    2005 LR3 HSE, Redbourne Wheels, BFG All Terrain T/A K/Os, RS Sliders, Lift Rods, Custom Driverside Rear Swingaway Tire Carrier w/ shovel, ax and highlift mount. ARB Front Bumper, Warn Winch w/ synthetic rope, solinoid mounted in engine bay, Ellis Precision Fairlead (teflon coated and fully covers old roller hole) aux Yellow Top Battery, Rigid Industries 20" LED Light Bar, ARB Magnum hand winch, CO2 Airtank, Center Console Gun Safe, aux LED Cargo Lighting, aux LED Map Lighting, protected by Glock

An aluminum roof rack then and only light items loading it?!? Putting my steel ladders up above would certainly raise the center axis of the rig.

I think you did well as I said. Those are light and they fit well on your mounting location.

Bill

I've got a pair of those waffle grate style ladders too. Haven't had to use them yet, though. Haven't figured out where to mount them yet on my D1 either. Hmmmm......