Thread: Leaking sunroof?

Leaking sunroof?

Hey guys, my mother's 2 had been collecting water at the dome light after rain storms. It's gotta be the sunroof right? But the next question is; is it a leak or clogged drain line? What I'd like to know if anyone out there has trouble shot this problem with success. What steps did you take to find and eliminate it? Where do I look for the drain lines or typical leaking areas? TIA!
    Brian

06 LR3/D3 SE7, 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's

Sorry it's an '08
    Brian

In any other car, I'd first think a leaking sunroof is plugged drains. In a LR, I first suspect failed seals. At least on the Discovery's, you can pull the rubber seal out, refresh it with silicon and put it back in without removing anything else.

The other seal that I like to make is between the metal roof and the plastic sunroof trim. This requires pulling the headliner out, completely removing the sunroof, cleaning up the surfaces and then laying a nice RTV bead all the way around. LR makes that seal with a thin strip of double sided foam so it doesn't last very long. Needless to say, this is a bigger job than refreshing the rubber seal that the glass seats on.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

hi there i have an 85 rr classic with a 91 roof and sunroof makeover. 90% sure it will be drain holes as the have probably have never been cleaned and they are not the biggest diameter and over time can gunkup. cheers

Thanks. It's supposed by the mechanic I use that it is a seal. My mom said she never opens it either, im sure thats ontributed to seal failure. Heads up to LR2 owners MY '08-09, this very common, but can be avoided by wiping wd40 on the seals every couple months. Especially watch for deterioration on vehicles not garaged.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by haverhill1 View Post
    ...wiping wd40 on the seals every couple months.
    WD-40 is almost the worst thing for a rubber seal and Silicon being the most healthy treatment. It will last longer and keep the rubber in the best shape over the years.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    WD-40 is almost the worst thing for a rubber seal and Silicon being the most healthy treatment. It will last longer and keep the rubber in the best shape over the years.
    You know, that's exactly what I thought but didn't question it when I had him on the phone. I'm going to follow up with him. It's possible he knows something about that particular seal in which case I will repost.
    Brian