Thread: Electronic brake controler question

Electronic brake controler question

Hi all, a simple question I'm sure but I'm new to towing. I just purchased and installed a Brake-Force electronic control unit. On the unit their is a red button and in the directions it says "vertical slide for manual override". What is this? I'm also trying to figure out how to set the brake pressure. From what I gather do I drive forward at 10-20mph then hit that red button to activate the trailer brakes and see how it slow's me? Adjust with + or - buttons from there.
    Thanks, Randy

So you've got an electronic brake control. I've driving many miles with a trailer brake. You must have a class III or IV hitch plus a trailer with it's own brakes. I've looked up the towing class of the Discovery and have failed to find anything (but I'd be surprised if it's great than a Class I).

The override allows you to apply the brake to a trailer with your hand. Remember, the electronic brake is either ON or OFF so it doesn't increase braking pressure like your foot does. When you slide the control, your trailer brakes go on. There are rare times you would apply the trailer brakes without the draw vehicle braking as well.

The +or- adjusts how hard your vehicle has to be stopping before the trailer brakes go on. If you set it too light, your trailer will skid when you lightly touch your brakes. The inverse, your trailer will not brake soon enough and it will push you forward. When you get it properly adjusted, you will never skid any tires and the braking load will be evenly distributed to all braking axles.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

My LR3 came pre-wired for both flat 4 and 6 pin connectors so I purchased this kit from Rover parts: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ETBCA.cfm
    We recently purchased a Fleetwood Evolution E2 camper which does have electric brakes according to the last owner.
    Thanks for the help.
    Randy

Actually, the limit on your pulling capacity is based on the vehicles rating and the hitch rating. For a LR3, you should have the pulling capacity of 7700lbs and the Class III hitch has a tong limit of 550lbs.

Following the minimum trailer balance or 10% (where 10-15% of the trailer weight needs to be on the tong), that would put a 7700lb trailer with 770lbs of tong weight. So tong weight is the limiting factor for a LR3! That's to say, you should not draw a trailer exceeding 5500lbs. Having less than 10% on the tong increases the danger of trailer wag (which can easily kill you).

If you add an after market trailer hitch, you can easily get that tong weight up to the 770lb limit.

----
    Now the trailer you have has the following (I believe - so VERIFY):
    2008 has a Gross trailer weight is 2545lbs. Payload capacity of 1855lbs. Net potential is 4400lbs.

If it's fully loaded, a 15% tong weight would too much but 10% works - only 440lbs.

I'd be good with these numbers. Adding the electric brake is smart and I think you'll have a lot of fun with that set up! Just remember to over fill it (thinking "there's more room so it must not be full yet") and anything you have in your truck adds to the Gross Vehicle Weight as does the trailer and tong weight, etc. You'll be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by rcharrette View Post
    a Fleetwood Evolution E2 camper which does have electric brakes according to the last owner.
    Looks like they indeed have an electric controlled brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    Remember, the electronic brake is either ON or OFF so it doesn't increase braking pressure like your foot does.
    It depends on the controller.
    I don't know about other brands, but my Tekonsha P3, when installed correctly, adjusts the trailer braking force depending on the level of deceleration.

For the OP, the controller manual should provide exact instructions for how to set the braking level.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

The instruction are not that great. Basically, install and use + or - buttons to adjust brakes. I read somewhere that you can get rolling then just push the red button on the controller (not vehicle brakes) and see how it slows down, then adjust from there? I'm hooking up tomorrow for a trip so I'll know soon enough.

Have you checked their web site for better instructions? The instructions from Tekonsha are very detailed.
    Maybe they'll give you some idea. http://www.tekonsha.com/content/down...ion/N90195.pdf
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Just took it for a drive with the camper. I pushed the red button and it did slow me down but no matter how much I push the + button it did not add to the stopping power. I'm happy with where it is at now but to add more would I need to just adjust the brakes (tighten up) manually at the drums or is something else going on?
    Thanks again,
    Randy