Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Convert

Do you have a video of the cargo light at night?
    I used this one for my cargo area. A little pricey but its held up well, is bright, and is plug and play.
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ARA.htm#photos

I can make one tonight if you want. The problem with making a video of lighting is that the cameras change lighting. The before and after bulbs that my cargo video reasonably show the intensity difference. The two dome lights at the beginning are the same number of LED's but each are smaller and I believe slightly dimmer than the cargo LED. While I said earlier, the dome lights may be a little too bright for some folks, the cargo light intensity is ideal.

You're right about those $15 LED plug and play lamps. Pricey by comparison.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    I used this one for my cargo area. A little pricey but its held up well, is bright, and is plug and play.
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ARA.htm#photos
    Sup Fish..

I just ordered my interior lights....

The dome lights, I ordered the SMD version with 12 LED's, which looks just right. For the rear, I ordered the normal style 5008 as a direct replacement. It has 24 LED's which should be super bright, but I might need to mod that reflector a bit... hope it fits.

I payed more for a bigger set of LED's in mine. I used the 24 large diode panels both for the front and center domes. Way to bright but that's what I was shooting for. Unfortunately the D1 cargo light location sucks (which I will upgrade later as well). But I did the direct replacement myself and got the same light coverage as yours. I like the metal bracket idea. I might do that on others projects. Smart cookie!!

I spent less time cutting wires but payed a little more for a direct replacement. Even then I would of used the factory spades and bypassed the light fixtures. So instead of butt connectors I would of used male spades. It's just a matter of positive and negative being in the right side(but that's my opinion).That's the only set back to installing LEDs.

I see you almost burnt your fingers trying to remove your old incandescent bulbs. I have learned from that myself. You have the right idea leaving them on to test before you finalize the work. Better then doing all the work and finding out later you reversed the leads. The best reason for this upgrade (which I 100% agree with is a must on all cars) is that they consume no real draw from your battery. Even a battery that wont turn over your truck will look exactly the same brightness. I think LEDs need about 5 volts to actually turn on at normal light output.

I'm going to try to upgrade the tail lights on my D1 soon here. Great writeup Bill. It will take a few days to adjust to the light at night time. And going to other vehicles with stock lights will make you want to change them as well.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie View Post
    Any reason besides price, that you went with 16 LEDs rather than the 8 LED unit by the same seller? Would the give the same amount of light, as the 16 LEDs would give off less light each? I am pretty ignorant on the pros and cons of LED lighten, but was looking at doing this same upgrade, and wondered if the lighting or usage life or what the difference may be. Not that it makes too much difference at this price, especially when we are use to buying LR parts!
    The more LEDs the brighter it will be. But if you compare a small LED to a large LED then you have a difference there as well.
    So if you're shopping for LEDs then get the size of the LEDs. There should be a part number associated with the diode size. example:

6 Large diode - 6LD
    12 small diode -12SD

Those two should be about the same in brightness. But the 12 LED might look brighter. But those are just examples.

Also.... For anyone who needs more info on this... White LEDs are always yellow diodes. White diodes are different colors. Those are hard to tell by looking at them. And I belive soft white is more of an Orange color diode. These lights you see on this post are super white, hyper white, and also called "cool white". I can't think of any others but I'm sure there are a few more.
    Last edited by ToyDisco1; 09-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

I'm surprised anyone would want brighter lights inside their rig than the ones I put in. I'd agree the cargo lamp isn't in the best location (you could want a second location added) but brighter and you'll have to make sure jets don't mistake it for runway landing lights.

Yeah I'm an LED whore. I love to change anything I can to LEDs. I went with the bigger ones just because. I love that fact that when I open my doors at night I can see all the way around my truck at night even with the 5% dark tinted glass!!!! And finding things in my truck are much easier. No more dark areas around seats and pockets. And they are only bright if you look up.

Which brings me to another thing about the cargo light. It actually makes up for the lack of the location of it. But the D2 is better. I would change it now but I have a motor to finish first. Heads!
    Last edited by ToyDisco1; 09-08-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Here is my interior at night. I just took these tonight.

THIS IS A VIDEO BELOW

Last edited by ToyDisco1; 09-10-2012 at 12:03 AM.

I like the super bright interior at night. My D1 is like a coffin with the lighting I have now.
    KF7KOY
    2005 LR3
    1994 DI (ROKROVR)
    1991 RRC
    www.azlro.org

Well, then you'll like what I got. I don't like to turn them on while I'm driving because they're so darn bright. Love them when I'm getting in/out/searching for something.