Thread: Ipod Integration for LR3?

Ipod Integration for LR3?

Picking brains here...What I want to accomplish is ipod integration that allows charging and signal via one wire, at multi plug port at the bottom of an ipod or iphone. Don't mind controlling the music, playlists, etc with the ipod. I want to eliminate the mini jack for signal and the separate cable for charging through the lighter socket, I would also be interested to see what anyone has done for mounting, keeping the ipod close at hand but out of the way of my dash buttons and cup holders. Not looking for the $350 factory integration (too much $$$). Anything else I've found has a separate dash mount controller/toggle and still doesn't charge the damn thing. These typically run the signal with a splitter plug into the fm antenna plug on the back of the head unit. Anyone found the solution? Thanks in advance!
    Brian

06 LR3/D3 SE7, 275/65/18 BFG AT KO2's

iPod integration solution.

So after a little more research to find the right kit and toying with a few more ideas, here's what I came up with. It's actually pretty slick and the set up charges the iPhone 4 in addition to my iPod touch and 5th gen iPod video. I haven't tried the iPad yet, but hoping that works as well (could be a nice set up for the kid's videos). The one downside is that the device does not shut down when the ignition is turned off, so that has to be done manually (otherwise, the device will continue to play). The kit and the installation can be altered to suit your specific needs so use your imagination. In my situation, I wanted the iPod completely hidden away with no exposed wires at all. Luckily the wife and I can agree on music so its a matter of starting the playlist on the iPod and we're good. The whole job took me 90 minutes, including set up/clean up and figuring out how to remove panels, where to run wires, etc. So, like anything be patient, use caution and everything should go well.

How to:
    1) Buy this: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_469RCAI...CAIPD&skipvs=T
    And this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

2) Clean out your center console bin.
    3) Remove the panel at the rear of the center console that houses the 12v socket and aux input: Pry off the cover plate by carefully inserting a flat-head screwdriver into one of the hinges and pulling outward. Insert the screwdriver at the two tabs on the top of the acc. panel and carefully pry downward. This will free the panel for removal, twist it downward and pull out.
    4) Disconnect the green aux plug and the tan 12v plug from the back of the panel, set the panel aside.
    5) From the back, very carefully drill a 3/4" (19mm) hole into the console bin. Use caution and do not damage the a/c vent duct that runs on the right side at a 45* angle.
    6) From below, very carefully drill a 1/4" (6mm) hole into the top inside of the change tray just below the aux panel. Again, use caution as to not damage the wiring or other components inside the console.
    7) From the interior of the console, feed the aux jack side of the rca/3.5mm jack pigtail down through the hole that was drilled into the change tray. This will leave the female rca side on the interior.
    8) Feed all of the cable ends from the iPod adapter through the hole that was drilled in the console bin from the inside. This will leave the little black box and the 3 feet or so of the cable with the 30 pin plug, on the inside of the console bin. As you will see, it also feeds all the necessary connecting wires into the interior of the console. Using velcro, secure the black box to the interior side wall if the console bin. This will ensure the connections inside the console remain secure and will neaten up the inside of the bin a bit.
    9) Connect the 2 male rca's from the adapter to the female's of the rca/3.5mm jack pigtail.
    10) Connect the red positive wire from the adapter to the purple wire on the 12v socket plug and the black adapter ground wire to the black 12v plug wire. Use whatever means you are comfortable with to make the connection. I recommend soldering as it is a solid, permanent connection with all exposed connections covered with black electrical tape to insulate.
    11) Recheck that all wiring connections are secure then connect the plugs to the rear of the 12v socket (tan) and aux (green). Plug the 3.5mm jack, that was fed through the top of the change bin, into the aux plug on the panel. Turn on the ignition and carefully check all the wiring and connections. If any of the wires become hot, immediately turn off the ignition. You have a short somewhere that needs to be addressed before continuing.
    12) If all connections are okay, then connect the iPod to the 30 pin plug. Turn the volume on the car stereo all the way down. Select and play a playlist in the iPod and turn the volume on the iPod all the way up. Select aux on the stereo and slowly turn up the stereo volume until you hear the music coming from the iPod.
    13) If everything is connected properly, re-install the aux panel into the back of the console and re-attach the hinging cover plate.
    14) Coil up and zip tie any excess cord and tuck into the console bin, along with the iPod. Remember to turn off the iPod when not in use. Job done
    Brian

Haverhill,
    great write up! I just bought an '07 LR3 HSE with the cooler box. I'll be following these steps (hopefully not too different with the cooler) to get my wife set up in the same fashion. After a year of use would you do anything different?

thanks again!
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by Weberic3 View Post
    Haverhill,
    great write up! I just bought an '07 LR3 HSE with the cooler box. I'll be following these steps (hopefully not too different with the cooler) to get my wife set up in the same fashion. After a year of use would you do anything different?

thanks again!
    eric
    In hindsight, I would probably get this instead:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008AG...=IAMTTMIP449V1

The cons to this product are that it doesn't charge your device and its not a wired connection. I've found that with Bluetooth apps like pandora don't sound as good as when wired directly. But the iPod app on your iPhone works great Bluetooth or wired.
    The pros:
    It's obviously a much simpler install and it will give you connectivity over a broad range of devices (now and in the future). I bought an iPhone 5 a couple months after I did my install and somewhat regretted spending the time and effort.

As an adjunct to my original install, I ended up buying this as a work around for Bluetooth:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008EL...AC_SX110_SY190

This is actually one of the best tech gadgets I've purchased in a long while. So I just plugged it into the 30 pin plug inside the console. I do like this because it kept the functionality of the 30 pin so I can still use one of many iPods on a long trip. Then I have my iPhone free for calls and GPS. Another benefit is I can pop the cool stream onto one of our Bose sound docks in the house for wireless listening. So in the end I like what I have. But if I had seen the Bluetooth 3.5 mm adapter first, the lazy in me would have gone that route.

Good luck whatever you choose and enjoy your 3. I have to say its probably the most enjoyable vehicle I've ever owned. Remember to take care of it and it will take care of you.
    Brian