Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rim Width Help...

I guess it depends on what you want to do. I'll tell you one thing. That extra 1" of clearance makes a world of difference on the Rubicon. You do pay for it though in trimming of body panels, gears, axle shafts...
    Trail Checklist:

Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole

96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

i all ready have plans on changing my gearing. 3.54 leaves a lot to be desired on bigger tires.
    if you go any bigger then 32", i think you should change all the stock stuff out anyways.
    i checked the lock to lock with the steering and i will clear but just barely.
    you swaped out your entire drivetrain right?

ATJ

Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    The width of the rim is meaningless in selecting tires. The tire height and width is dependent on the fender opening when the suspension it most compressed (and steering is extreme - lock to lock).
    This is 100% not true. EVERY tire has a recommended rim width.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyDisco1
    265 17 is a 31 x 8 I would say go to a 33 x11.5 with a all terrain or mud terrain.
    He is running a 265/75/16 BFG KM2. The effective tire size is about 32" x 10.43".

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
    Let's see... The jump from 265/75/16 up to 315/75/16 is a large enough change to effect the rim range. The rim ranges are: 265/75/16 7-8" rim; 315/75/16 8-10" rim. The Discovery II 16" rims are 16x8", so that means he's in range either way.
    Tire Size Calculator with rim width range.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

With the 315/75, there is a 4.4 (2.20 +/- per side) inch difference between the 8" rim & the section width. When / if aired down, that will increase a bit. My worthless opinion is, that's a bunch! Also, when aired up the tread will want to be more rounded (with a slight height increase). Back in the race days, we had to run 15 x 8 rims, & 27.5/11.5-15 (rear) tyres. They worked best on wider rims, but our class could not run them. The car was slow to respond, & with the sidewall moving all the time, the inside "corner" of the tyres got beat up. A wider rim, usually, helps to stabilize a trye. Keeping the sidewall more vertical is much more preferred. Please remember this is only my twaddle & as always can be disregarded. I almost forgot, when I peddled tyres for Yokohama, the engineers told me the best rim width was always at the centre of the range.
    Last edited by great gormless beast; 06-29-2012 at 11:01 AM.
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Well said and much appreciated at least by me!

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

The best thing to remember is that wider tyres need wider wheels. Too narrow, means that the contact patch is reduced. Goes against the reason for wider tyres, regardless of the diameter. It's all about grip, whether street, road course, or trail. Now, what throws everything out the window is tyre construction, alignment, conditions, etc., etc..

Quote Originally Posted by fishEH View Post

He is running a 265/75/16 BFG KM2. The effective tire size is about 32" x 10.43".

Yeah I had my doubts but I knew I was missing something there. Thanks for clearing that up.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Another note....

I have 16 x7 wheels and I asked a good friend that is a assistant manager at American Tire about going to 33x12.5 on a stock 16x7 wheel. He said "Not recommended but it is possible". That being said, anyone running them? Problems? I have a D1.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

The 33x12.5 has a section width of 5.5" wider than the rim width. 2.750" / per side of sidewall bulge can (....will) give you some odd steering feedback. No Rover is a great handling vehicle, but those tyres will, probably, make the rigs less responsive on the streets. That, due to the rim moving side to side within the tyre. Probably, get odd wear patterns, & wet weather could be interesting.