Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rim Width Help...

Well like you said before tires and driver make a huge factor. So In theory I can get a heavier walled tire to compensate for the wobbly walls. Right?
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Here's another good one. Heavier sidewalls can/may help in certain situations. When you squeeze a heavy sidewall / wide tyre on a narrow wheel, the contact patch can be reduced. The sidewall acts like the bully & can pull the outer edges of the tread off the road (when sitting static). Again, my experience, when we had to play between Goodyear, Firestone & Dunlop tyres, none were constructed or worked the same. The Dunlops were the widest, with the stiffest sidewall. They were a pain to get onto the wheels. In theory & on paper, they should have been the best. We kept airing them down to try & use the entire tread area. We never could & eventually negatively changed the vehicles handling. The ultimate truth is that no golden rule exists & logic is trial & error. Also, stiff sidewall tyres can have an effect on springs. What is a correct spring for OE sized tyres, may be too soft for a taller, stiff sidewall tyre. Some "tyre give" is designed into the suspension. Stiffer sidewalls eliminate the deflection / give & more of the bump load goes directly to the spring.
    ...........and I still think that doing chassis set-up was fun?!?!?
    "I am never more serious than when I am joking."

Interesting... I'm learning here. Thanks. Trial and error make the best end products.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Quote Originally Posted by ToyDisco1 View Post
    ................Trial and error make the best end products.
    In what I was involved with:

-"What worked this session, may not this afternoon"
    -"An infinitely adjustable race car means that you will generally get it wrong"
    -"Setting up a chassis is best done using a SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess)"
    -"All that work to get it right, & now it rains!!!!!" (set-up goes 180 degrees opposite & pray)
    -"Trial & error is just practice. that can be costly"

Quote Originally Posted by great gormless beast View Post
    In what I was involved with:

-"What worked this session, may not this afternoon"
    -"An infinitely adjustable race car means that you will generally get it wrong"
    -"Setting up a chassis is best done using a SWAG (Scientific Wild Arsed Guess)"
    -"All that work to get it right, & now it rains!!!!!" (set-up goes 180 degrees opposite & pray)
    -"Trial & error is just practice. that can be costly"
    This could get ugly..... But it's true. If you make enough bad judgements, eventually you will make a good one. How long it takes you to get there.... well it's up to your stubborn head.

I think I might of just made this someones quote.

.......How long it takes you to get there.... well it's up to your stubborn head.
    That is subject for a pizza & pitcher discussion.

Interesting... I'm learning here. Thanks.
    You and me both. I've never considered rim width because I've never ventured that far from the stock sizing. Kermit (my D1) has LT225/75R16 and rides fine. It's wouldn't make it with the guys wearing 33's but it serves my needs.

How long it takes you to get there.... well it's up to your stubborn head.
    I like it. I often quote, Lean from the mistakes of others - because you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor