Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rim Width Help...

Rim Width Help...

I have a 04 D2 with the 6 spoke 16" rims. I'm trying to find out the rim width.
    I need new tires and i am seeing if i can run the new tires on the stock rims till i get the rest of the money for a new wider set.

Thanks
    ATJ

It's actually stamped right on your rim. Most to all are 16x7 Look at your rim and find some little print near the spokes. It should be there. Take a picture and I'll let you know.

Last edited by ToyDisco1; 06-25-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00306.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	28423I'll have to look. I don't remember every seeing anything on there, but then again i never really looked hard.

Thanks
    ATJ
    Last edited by Adamanitum; 06-25-2012 at 04:39 AM.

If your truck is an SD, then you will have 16X7" wheels, otherwise most are 16X8"
    What size tires are you wanting to go to?
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

I searched the rims and could not find any numbers. I didn't think there were any because just before i painted the rims I sanded and would have caught it then.
    The truck is a S model. I don't know if that is the same as a SD. It is the stripped down model. It never had air bags, extra seating, sat nav, or sunroofs. i don't know if that helps.
    I am planning on getting a set of BFG mud terrains 315/75/16"
    I will be replacing the whole drive line over the next eight months. I have to replace the front CVs because i fried the one side over the weekend. So i will be starting there.

ATJ

The width of the rim is meaningless in selecting tires. The tire height and width is dependent on the fender opening when the suspension it most compressed (and steering is extreme - lock to lock).

You've got that rig nicely lifted so you can go large but you may be pushing that. Here's a site to help select the right size (and figure out how jacked up your speedometer will be). http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

A 315/75/16 is almost 35 inches.. Why do yoÙ want to go that big? Iam just curious. I ran 33's for 2 years then switched to 35's for a few short months.. I am now back at 33's and will not go bigger.. I run a lot of rockcrawling anf various terrian and have not had a issue with 33's..not trying to steer u away from 35's. But it changes everything.

I agree, 35"s are over kill and not needed unless you are looking at them for looks. They will require a lot of trimming, actually more of a 10" wheel and a huge amount of mods.
    Mike

Retired service manager, member of Solihull Society, SCLR, past member of the NCLR and the Santa Barbara 4Wheelers clubs.
    99 D2, 3" lift, CDL with Detroit,T.T. lockers, 4:11's,H.D. axles, custom ft/rear bumpers with sliders, a 9500 HSI Warn winch and 5 HID's.

To DOWNLOAD the RAVE Manual, follow this link http://www.landroverresource.com/

Rover Radio issues or IPOD Adapters http://home.valornet.com/splacket/index.htm

I know i will be doing some body cutting which is fine by me. What other mods do you think will be needed aside from regearing and driveline stuff?
    I am currently 265/75 and i have found myself in places were a 35 would have got me out of it. Plus the bigger tires help on the departure angle. Which on a D2 needs all the help it can get.

ATJ

Quote Originally Posted by Adamanitum View Post
    I know i will be doing some body cutting which is fine by me. What other mods do you think will be needed aside from regearing and driveline stuff?
    I am currently 265/75 and i have found myself in places were a 35 would have got me out of it. Plus the bigger tires help on the departure angle. Which on a D2 needs all the help it can get.

ATJ
    265 17 is a 31 x 8 I would say go to a 33 x11.5 with a all terrain or mud terrain. If you do sand and dirt trails I would say get all terrain. If you do rocks and mud get mud terrain. But either way I wouldn't really suggest to go bigger unless you want to spend more on tires then you have to. Departure is not a big deal. I would just try getting a better spotter next time. If you clear 33's then you have plenty of clearance for 90% of trails. That's why you got the tube bumpers and sliders. It's okay if you hit it on some rocks and dirt. They just let you know they are there to help. Push your way through and use your CDL.

33's tend to be less costly at the stores as well. More options since that's more of a typical truck size. I would say air down when you need to and be more aware of your lines you pick.

Also I'm running 33 12.50 myself and I really never lose traction. I have the kevlar's from Good year.
    Last edited by ToyDisco1; 06-26-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"