Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building a utility trailer

Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    I like your thinking. I have a question about the lifting blocks. It looks like they are 1/4" and probably wont ever bend but the way they are orientated if you overload the trailer they could fail. To firm it up they need some shear support on the ends, like a shear wall on a house. If you box the ends they will be much stronger. Well done on cleaning this thing up. What are you going to do to get the rover wheels on? Will you get a rear rover axle? I know you spent a bunch of time and $ on what's there already but with a rover axle you would be able to carry spare shafts, 3rd member, wheel bearings brake parts... It does hoever weigh alot more. What the plan?
    Here is another picture of what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Keanan View Post
    Nice "uTITlity" trailer. Looks tits man.
    I figured that out after my second post... I can't believe it took this long for someone to say something about it. I can't change it. It's not an edit option. But thank you for the kind words. I got some more Tits, I mean work to do.

Here is the progress... I can't believe I have so many pictures taken of this project.... I'm happy with it though.

Jason here is proof of the chain I am adding. Way better!!

Before

After

A closer picture of some welds.

It was getting dark and I wanted to finish something else. So I added a tongue jack. Custom made from stock.

The "X" shape in welds is supposed to be for traction since it was a smooth surface. I just wanted to do something with it.

I also integrated the wheel from the old idea.

I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Sacto is correctly pointing out those blocks would be greatly stronger if a plate welded over the openings (to make them boxed). Sideways load shifting (i.e. trailer sway while loaded) would be the current weakness. Same way you can stand on an empty aluminum can without hurting it but if the can is on a slight incline, it will collapse before you stand up.

However, I think it won't get enough side load to bent those blocks. They're mounted to leaf springs which absorb peak side loading energy. Just don't make the mistake of thinking weight limit can't be exceeded because "there's still room." That's how Pick Up Trucks get overloaded and end up with spring sag and blown shocks and worse.

You do nice work but - I still want to know which part [singular] is the original trailer?!

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

You've really put a lot of work in to a pig's ear and, while maybe not a silk purse, at least made a denim purse.

But the tongue is rather frightening. You took apart a basically good design with a really crappy implementation and replaced it with a crappy design well implemented (much better welds).
    For maximum strength the tongue really should extend back to the first cross piece so you can get full weld on it with the two angle braces in addition to the joint at the cross piece.. That will also give you a lot better support and reduce significantly the leverage on the brace/tongue joint which will lead to broken welds. I'm glad you attached the safety chains to the braces and not the tongue.
    Because of the way it's designed now, a cracked weld will likely lead quickly to completely failed joint and separation of the trailer from the tow vehicle. The other way, at least if one weld breaks it won't work in to the other weld joint and so will give you a little recovery time.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Wow! You guys think I'm new to this. It's okay. I trust my welds more than the metal. I have never had a weld fail. I built three tire carriers, three bumpers, three rock sliders, fixed a front and rear bumper to match a 2" inch body lift with custom brackets with out any bolts. Now after all this work under my belt do you think a trailer this size will fail?

Guys I'm not pulling a tank. I pulling a 200 lbs trailer with maybe 300 lbs in it. Even if I put 1000 lbs in it I will be okay Even if it was off road and abusing it. I am taking all this into consideration.
    Trust me. I'm not ignoring what you guys say. I'm glad you guys care enough to say it. So thank you!

I will keep your thoughts in mind. I'll put it through some tests when I'm done.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

After getting some more steel from the metal supply I got back to work

I also picked up some hinges. I thought these would be good enough to do the job since they were free

Cut the expanded steel into a half sheet and build a frame for the gates.

I got the other side done but it was late and I was tired so today will be another short work day since I have plans to go out and have a life outside of work.

I'll keep it up till it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyDisco1 View Post
    I'm glad you guys care enough to say it. So thank you!
    I love your work and I agree, you've got great welds. My little trailer will not look this good when I rebuild it but you've inspired me to do things a little better than I would have.

Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    I love your work and I agree, you've got great welds. My little trailer will not look this good when I rebuild it but you've inspired me to do things a little better than I would have.
    Thank you Bill.

If you need some welds bring it by. I know I'm not right down the street from you but it's close enough to drive a few hours to get something completed. We can do a Saturday morning thing and I can bring the grille and we can make it a day to enjoy.

I didn't have time to do any work today, but I will post some more pictures of things I did take that I didn't yesterday.

And also to clear things up so I don't have to hear it again....

Here is my opinion on the lifting blocks (click on picture below)
    | | |
    \/ \/ \/

And more about things that are going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by ToyDisco1 View Post
    Wow! You guys think I'm new to this. It's okay. I trust my welds more than the metal. I have never had a weld fail. I built three tire carriers, three bumpers, three rock sliders, fixed a front and rear bumper to match a 2" inch body lift with custom brackets with out any bolts. Now after all this work under my belt do you think a trailer this size will fail?
    Well, nothing else you listed is under similar stresses.
    I'm not saying it will fail as soon as you take it out, unless the welds totally suck. It's long term use and cyclic loading of the joint that leads to failure. And it may never fail, I'm just saying the potential is there.
    I used to build and repair stuff like this for a living so all I can do is point out the flawed design. Whether you want to correct it or not is up to to you.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

I just got my wheel spacers today... Yippy! I'm looking for wheels now.