Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Building a utility trailer

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    I got the trailer registered today.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ripon, Ca. (That's not England chaps)
    Posts
    1,514
    Looks like there's nothing left of your purchase! I love what you made it into though.

    You may want to build a good License Plate holder because I find trailers eat unprotected plates.

    BTW, How did you get a trailer without fenders past the DMV?!
    Last edited by Green Achers; 06-25-2012 at 07:18 PM.

    Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor


  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Loomis, Ca
    Posts
    831
    I like your thinking. I have a question about the lifting blocks. It looks like they are 1/4" and probably wont ever bend but the way they are orientated if you overload the trailer they could fail. To firm it up they need some shear support on the ends, like a shear wall on a house. If you box the ends they will be much stronger. Well done on cleaning this thing up. What are you going to do to get the rover wheels on? Will you get a rear rover axle? I know you spent a bunch of time and $ on what's there already but with a rover axle you would be able to carry spare shafts, 3rd member, wheel bearings brake parts... It does hoever weigh alot more. What the plan?
    Trail Checklist:

    Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole
    ...

    96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    I like your thinking. I have a question about the lifting blocks. It looks like they are 1/4" and probably wont ever bend but the way they are orientated if you overload the trailer they could fail. To firm it up they need some shear support on the ends, like a shear wall on a house. If you box the ends they will be much stronger. Well done on cleaning this thing up. What are you going to do to get the rover wheels on? Will you get a rear rover axle? I know you spent a bunch of time and $ on what's there already but with a rover axle you would be able to carry spare shafts, 3rd member, wheel bearings brake parts... It does hoever weigh alot more. What the plan?
    Jason! How is it going buddy?

    $$$ Not even close. I got this thing for $300 and put about $200 in it so far. Just more of my labor really. About the axle I was thinking about that as well. I came up with something different.

    Your a few steps ahead of me... I was thinking the other day and I came up with a great option. I'm so excited to tell.....


    Oh the suspense......





    I'm actually going to save this for the next build. It's actually ingenious..... LOL




    But as far as your concern about the failing part... I don't see how it will bend on my blocks unless I put enough force on it to bend the leaf springs. Since the leaf pack is the weaker part of that frame. The lower part is mounted to the axle and tied into the other side with the same force as above. I understand where you talking about. But really if you push this thing around by hand you would see it's pretty stout. I might add some gas shocks to take out the bumps a little. And I might just redo the entire axle.... part of my new idea..... Not saying..... I want to be the first. I'm going to make millions! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	million-dollar-bill.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	28430
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    Looks like there's nothing left of your purchase! I love what you made it into though.

    You may want to build a good License Plate holder because I find trailers eat unprotected plates.

    BTW, How did you get a trailer without fenders past the DMV?!
    I put a gun to their head.... I guess I got lucky. I didn't even really have a safe chain location. I used a light duty chain I had laying around and just ran it through the tongue and back under my rear bumper with a spring hook like this

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKjEE6Y5Yc48eBOtGeyiHgw~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	28431

    to both ends and just tucked it under my hitch to get past the "LOOK" of it working.

    They never checked the lights to see if they even work and didn't even ask about the weight. ??? I have now idea how they do things there but I got it registered and everything looks fine on the paper work.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Loomis, Ca
    Posts
    831
    Please, please, please make sure you put an actual chain and a more substantial locking device on that trailer before you load it up.

    Unless you want this to happen

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	update0601126.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	28432
    Last edited by sactodisco; 06-26-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    Trail Checklist:

    Rubicon (Buck to Tahoe in the rain/snow), Hell Hole
    ...

    96 DI 5" RTE, GBR 4.11's, ARB Front and Rear, 35" KM2's, custom front bumper, custom rear bumper, Roof Rack, Bottorf Sliders, Superwinch, RTE steering skid, Custom front diff guard...other and more to come

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ripon, Ca. (That's not England chaps)
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyDisco1 View Post
    ...I have now idea how they do things there but I got it registered and everything looks fine on the paper work.
    When I built a Home Depot kit folding trailer, the Manteca DMV came out and spent almost a half hour going over every detail. I thought I was getting a final inspection from a construction engineer rather than having a DMV employee looking at a flat bed trailer! It's no wonder the average wait there is two hours and the surrounding DMV's are just as bad!!

    Bill of Green Achers Farms
    Adventure for fellow Geeks! Geocaching
    Land Rover Repair Manual - Download Site
    1. 1996 Discovery I - Yet to be named
    2. 1998 Discovery I - "Kermit"
    3. 2000 Discovery II - Parts Donor


  8. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by sactodisco View Post
    Please, please, please make sure you put an actual chain and a more substantial locking device on that trailer before you load it up.

    Unless you want this to happen

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	update0601126.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	28432


    No I'm going to take my chances.... Just kidding. I just did that so DMV would give me the okay to continue. I didn't want to invest wasted time on something that I wouldn't of been able to register. I figured worst situation they would give me a "fix it" warning. But nothing! I got a real chain and real mounts going up on it. I never would really trust a hook lock and the dinky chain I had on it for anything.

    If I was this careless I would bought a Harbor Freight trailer.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Achers View Post
    When I built a Home Depot kit folding trailer, the Manteca DMV came out and spent almost a half hour going over every detail. I thought I was getting a final inspection from a construction engineer rather than having a DMV employee looking at a flat bed trailer! It's no wonder the average wait there is two hours and the surrounding DMV's are just as bad!!
    I guess I really lucked out then.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Yucaipa, CA
    Posts
    144
    Nice "uTITlity" trailer. Looks tits man.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •