Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a utility trailer

Building a utility trailer

So I posted this on the club forum and no one really took an appeal to it or even commented on it. So I thought a re post on this general forum would be better. I usually get better responses here.

So I bought a used trailer from Craigslist a few weeks ago and put some ideas into it and started to build. So off to pictures and some brainstorming.

Monday I picked this up and it was dark when I got home. So the story starts.

This was used to tow a couple ATV's and I figured for $300 bucks I can't get a better deal. These things are not cheap. I was looking for them new and they run around $1000. And I figured I'm going to make something usable for camping. I really liked Antonio's trailer after his complete deal was done but I can't see myself buying a tent like that at this moment. I liked Tom Owen tent trailer that he craftily made in a matter of days. I really liked the idea he was going for.

And here is Antonio's tent trailer I helped build.

So I started to get ideas as I went on. Back to my trailer.

Day 2 starts with a demolition!

The reason why I felt obligated to do this.

After stripping it down and getting it to the bones I found cancer. Not serious but enough to wonder why I got a deal. Good thing I'm ready to repair it. I'm getting really into this now.

Oh man this is going to be fun.
    Last edited by astateofmike; 06-29-2012 at 01:03 PM.
    I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

I bought some new parts seeing how the old bearings were neglected.

OLD

NEW AGAIN!
    with a little elbow grease (remover)

Amazing what a wire wheel grinder does to dirt and rust.

New bearings are ready to pressed in.

Before and after

A little paint and night one is done

I spend more time fixing things than using them. My motto is " If it breaks.... F it I'll weld it"

Wednesday starts!

I went to the metal supply and picked up some needed materials.

Now the axles are so much better. I can start focusing on the rest of the areas. So far I'm about $280 bucks into it. Paint and parts.
    Seeing the last owner who "modified" boat trailer into this ATV trailer never knew how to weld and used bolts to hold everything together. This was a bad idea since most of the wood was rotted and all the bolts were half rusted to death. I tried to unbolt but most broke or were so rusted in they needed a grinder. I used a cutoff wheel and a sawzall.

It looks like someone took a bugger and made it into metal.
    I'm going to fix this!

Now it's really getting there. I think I can flip this into something fun.

RUST, DIRT AND MORE RUST!!! Getting it down to bare metal is going to be fun. I was really tempted to rebuild from new... But I gave it a chance. A few hours into it and it's good. It got dark and this is where I got more crazy about this thing.

Wondering what this is?? I cut something off.

Why you ask?

I figured that I need a lift since my truck is. I'm feeling a bit tired and need some sleep before work.

I need to start the tongue since it's cut and I have nothing to pull it with. I thought of something different. I didn't like the "modified" look.

A few tack welds and a fitment.

Looks great. Some paint and another flip to finish up some welds and more paint.

Now I'm going to finish what I wanted to complete. I feel like I got where I want to be and now I'm motivated to finish.

Yeah it's over kill but I need it to be!

Time for paint and some more work. I'm not happy till it's done.

A test fit and some more paint. Then flip the expanded steel and weld and then paint the other side. I got it down to a science.

Getting this thing in the sun is so nice! I'm excited and ready to get it street-able.

Add a touch of LED tail lights and some pelican cases to set the mood.

I can turn pretty sharp and not hit. This is a complete 90 degree turn.

It got dark and I wanted to test out the lights. WOW!!! All of them work correctly. And man did I do a clean wire job. It's water tight and out of the way. Soon to come..... Gates and an idea Antonio gave me. I have to buy more metal.

Tried it out on the Disco. And it's nice.

I did order something to make life better as well. I am going to have the same bolt pattern on the trailer to use the spare from trailer. There will be Land Rover wheels on this trailer to make it an official LR trailer. Coming soon. It's on order. Should look something like this.

Keep us posted. I love it when someone has a "plan" !
    The rover wheels will look killer.......fenders ?
    1988 RRC Truck: 4.2, LT230, 2" OME with Bilsteins, 265 BFG Muds
    Where did all that money go ?

Quote Originally Posted by johndog View Post
    Keep us posted. I love it when someone has a "plan" !
    The rover wheels will look killer.......fenders ?

Thank you John! I will do fenders but after I get my wheels. I need to see what the layout is going to look like with the LR wheels. I might have to re locate things. And I need clearance for the gates to drop down when I'm camped. I'm just going to do it one step at a time. This is for sale at anytime. I might just keep it if no one really likes it. I'm going to make it useful for all purposes.

this is pretty Tight i like it Pedram
    1997 D1 6" lift 33" bumpers, glasspack ,HID's
    comming soon Sliders, toy conversion,35"s

Quote Originally Posted by disco12 View Post
    this is pretty Tight i like it Pedram
    Thank you J. I love the trailer so far. It's really looking much better then when I picked it up. And for the price.... I can't complain.

I'm taking it to DMV tomorrow after work to get it registered and official. Yeah!! Hopefully I'll get the plates soon. I have big plans to go bigger and taller. Looking for a place to store things as well. I need to get it going. I want to use it.