Thread: dash brake light?

dash brake light?

I have a solid red brake light under my temp gauge. Brakes stopping fine any suggestions on what to look for or reset

Brake Fluid Level maybe, (as in add brake fluid).

Below is what your owners manual says on my page 102 under Controls and Instruments.

You said the colour is Red, hence it could be something called the EBD, Electronic Brake Force Distribution or low Brake Fluid level.
    More likely, it is a failing sensor or your brake reservoir needs to be topped up with brake fluid. If so, you may have a leaking line somewhere.
    If so, this is an opportunity to flush the brake lines and install new official Land Rover brake fluid.

The BRAKE indicator shares its position and symbol with four brake system warnings and illuminates briefly as a bulb check when the starter switch is turned to position ’II’ (the indicator will illuminate red and amber during bulb check).

Emergency brake assist - AMBER
    If the indicator remains amber after starting, or illuminates whilst driving, a fault with the EBA system is indicated.

Brake pad wear - AMBER
    It illuminates when brake pad wear has reached a predetermined limit.

Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) - RED
    A fault with the EBD system is indicated by illumination of the red brake warning indicator. If this illuminates while the vehicle is being
    driven, stop the vehicle gently, as soon as safety permits, check and top up brake fluid if necessary.

Brake fluid level - RED
    Low brake fluid level is indicated by illumination of the red brake warning indicator. If this illuminates while the vehicle is being driven,
    stop the vehicle gently, as soon as safety permits. Check and top up brake fluid if necessary.

For further info, use the link below to download Bodsy's Brake Bible - everything you need to know about brakes on the 3.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thum...php?album=4184

Download the latest version; v1.6a as of when I typed this. Bodsy keeps updating it as he tunes up the 36 page pdf.

The best part is probably towards the end re the electronic parking brake. It is black art stuff, (well leading edge); also the set and unset procedure applies when doing just a normal rear pad change.

If you ignore the set unset procedure, then a few miles down the road, the squealing will start.

The fronts are more normal, but the rears, not!

You actually have three pair of brake assemblies to deal with, the front pair of rotors, and pads, the rear pair of rotors and pads, and then the parking brake pair of drums and shoes – yes, drums and shoes. That is why you can use the parking brake as a “dynamic” system to safely slow the vehicle from highway speeds. The owner’s handbook explains the procedure.
    2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; Air Suspension ECU Fuse 35P disconnect switch; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; LR4 shorter hitch receiver.

The level is at the max line. The cap was unplugged but I plugged back in weeks ago still red light. What sensor would need replacing, good source for replacement.

Magnetic float assembly senses brake fluid level.

The cap on the top of the brake fluid reservoir that the electrical connector attaches to is a magnetic float sensor as below.

The filler neck of the reservoir is sealed with a cap incorporating the level switch. The level switch is operated by a magnet, which is installed in the float on the bottom of the switch. The switch reacts to the influence of the magnetic field surrounding the magnet. When the reservoir is full, the float rests against the bottom of the switch and holds the level switch open. When the fluid level decreases, the float moves down and the switch closes to connect a ground to the instrument cluster. When the ground is made, the instrument cluster illuminates the red Light Emitting Diode (LED) in the brake warning indicator. Vehicles with the high line instrument cluster also display an appropriate warning in the message center.

At the beginning of each ignition cycle, the instrument cluster performs a bulb check on the brake warning indicator; the indicator is illuminated amber for 1.5 seconds, then red for 1.5 seconds.
    The instrument cluster broadcasts the status of the brake fluid level, on the high speed Controller Area Network (CAN) bus, to the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) module.

Myself, if it does not appear that the float pieces are perhaps jammed, and if it does not matter if the connector is connected or not, I think it is time to go to a LR dealer. You could just order in a new cap/sensor bit from the dealer but somehow I doubt the solution is that simple. When you do solve the problem, we would all like to know what the solution was.
    2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L V8 petrol; 18" x 10 spoke wheels; Traxide Dual Battery; Air Suspension ECU Fuse 35P disconnect switch; PIAA 2500K H11 Yellow Ion Fog light bulbs; Rear Cargo area LED lighting; CounterAct LT-2 capacitive corrosion device; LLumar AIR80 Blue Low E clear Infra Red heat reducing side window tint; Upper liftgate cable release; Schrader valve "air in" mod to OEM air tank; Akebono ceramic pads on OEM solid vented discs; LR4 shorter hitch receiver.