Thread: Series 109 PTO question

Series 109 PTO question

I'm actually doing a frame off restoration and after looking at the rear of the transfer case/ transmission it looks like there is a PTO at the rear. I see the holes that goe thru the chassis, and wonder what does that PTO run? Are there any accessories, or is it a winch hookup? I'm kinda stumped at what would run off of it. Here are some pictures to get an idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02721.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	28344Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02712.JPG 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	28345Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02708.JPG 
Size:	177.9 KB 
ID:	28346

Others will know better but I think what you have there is a Fairey overdrive, not a PTO for a winch or other equipment. Fairey did make winches but I believe that linkage out the front to the shift lever sticking up on the right of the main gearbox is a shifter for the overdrive. If you google "Fairey Overdrive" I expect you find all the information you'll need, including cautions about checking the oil in it regularly as I understand that these are prone to letting their oil leak off into the tranny and then running too dry. Expensive to rebuild, assuming that you can still get parts, so take care of it. It's a nice feature to have.

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

Yup, a Fairey overdrive. You can still get parts for them from someone here in the states. I can't remember who, but with some searching you'll find them.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

The what are the holes in the chassis for? They line up with the overdrive unit. That's why I thought it was a PTO. The holes go all the way to the rear bumper area of the chassis.

Aaarrrrggghhh! I wrote a really detailed reply to your question about the holes in the frame and it vanished when I went to post it! Now, I don't have the energy to type it all again so will just say that, yes, those holes far for a driveshaft from a transfer-case-mounted PTO to connect to a rear PTO (two different types) and can also be used for a rear mounted PTO winch. I actually have a PTO that connects to a front winch (by dropping down, with an output shaft facing forward) and has a rear flange drive as well, which lines up with those holes in the frame. Thus, you could use the one PTO to drove both front and rear winches. The winch is a Ramsey and the PTO appears to have also been made by Ramsey.

Granville aka Gran or Granny
    '06 LR3 SE7 V8
    North California Wine Country
    http://home.comcast.net/~teacupfarm/index.html

Yeah, Ramsey made a PTO winch for the Series also, it's just not as common as the Koenig.
    Rumor has it that the intent was that the rear cover plate of the OD could be removed and a PTO added, but I've never seen any real evidence of it and the guts of the OD don't look like they'd work for that.
    Google "Land Rover PTO" and select Images and you'll see actual PTO setups.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Well, some time has passed and I've been doing quite a bit to the Rover. After diving into this thing, and finding rust everywhere we decided to purchase a new chassis. So now the whole chassis is going to be all gone thru as a complete roller. Everything was blasted and powdercoated up really nice.
    Next problem was the engine. He wanted to have A/C and power steering, so we decided with the space available to put in a Chevy Ecotec engine. So we had an adapter plate made to mate up to the factory transmission. You will see the pictures below.
    So now in saying that if any of you decide to put in an Ecotec engine in your Rover, let me know since I have the cnc drawings to make more. Now things should start going along quite fast since we have been waiting some time to get this adapter plate figured out.

I'll get some more pics once the trans comes back and we can mate up the two.