Thread: Universal wiring questions

Universal wiring questions

Series sharp wiring guys - I need a hand.

I have an EZ-Wiring harness, universal, that I replaced my hacked, smoked out, frayed, decaying original in the 109 IIA. All in all, as easy as it sounds although I did burn through about a thousand wire ties and connectors.

Anyway I am having issues with the brake switch wire and getting the brake lights to operate. The instructions wanted me to put it on the steering column, but that didn't make much sense to me because it wasn't wired that way to begin with (so far as I know.) So ... any ideas?

Second - glow plug switch wiring. This truck was originally a petrol engine and a transplant was effected before I took ownership. In fact I took ownership before the job was finished, hence some issues with the wiring. I intended to use a push button to activate the glow plugs and use one of the warning lights on the dash no longer necessary to let me know things were working right. Even with the power of the google I couldn't find a straight answer to how this should wire up. I'm thinking I need to run it through a relay, and then one side will go to battery side on starter solenoid, and the other will go to the glow plug? Sound right? Probably not, which is why I'm here

And finally is the instrument panel lighting - every time I hook this up according to the diagram I'm blowing a 20 amp fuse which tells me something is grounding out. Problem is I can't find the issue. Is there a work around for this? Like could I just hook it to my parking lights and call it a day instead of it being switchable?

Series experts ... I'm in dire need of assistance! I have to monkeys who are dying for a ride in this truck, been begging for it since I pulled it in the garage after my deployment so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley

Quote Originally Posted by superpowerdave View Post
    Anyway I am having issues with the brake switch wire and getting the brake lights to operate. The instructions wanted me to put it on the steering column, but that didn't make much sense to me because it wasn't wired that way to begin with (so far as I know.) So ... any ideas?
    No idea how you'd operate the brakes from the steering column.
    There should be a hydraulically operated switch on the right hand chassis rail in the engine compartment. Apply the brakes and it energizes the brake lights.

Second - glow plug switch wiring. This truck was originally a petrol engine and a transplant was effected before I took ownership. In fact I took ownership before the job was finished, hence some issues with the wiring. I intended to use a push button to activate the glow plugs and use one of the warning lights on the dash no longer necessary to let me know things were working right. Even with the power of the google I couldn't find a straight answer to how this should wire up. I'm thinking I need to run it through a relay, and then one side will go to battery side on starter solenoid, and the other will go to the glow plug? Sound right? Probably not, which is why I'm here
    If the wire for the glow plugs is large enough and you have a high enough rated switch then you don't need a relay. That's the simplest way of doing it and what I did on my diesel conversions. Or you can use a relay and do what you described, though I'd run it from a fused circuit either way. A third way would be to get a diesel ignition switch and wire is as stock.
    Here's the IIA Negative earth wiring diagram. Older glow plugs are wired in series and newer are wired in parallel. If you wire series plugs in parallel you will burn them out, if you wire parallel plugs in series they won't work properly.

And finally is the instrument panel lighting - every time I hook this up according to the diagram I'm blowing a 20 amp fuse which tells me something is grounding out. Problem is I can't find the issue. Is there a work around for this? Like could I just hook it to my parking lights and call it a day instead of it being switchable?
    Without power to the instrument lights (supply disconnected) and the main earth from the panel disconnected use a multimeter, set to continuity, and connect one lead to the panel side of the supply and the other to earth, that should show you a completed circuit if something is earthed where it shouldn't be. Then it's a matter of disconnecting wires to see which is the offending one.
    Though there aren't that many so you could just remove them all and start again on the panel and be very methodical.
    Tom
    62 88 Regular
    67 109 NADA x2
    79 Lightweight
    95 D1 R380
    95 D90 300tdi R380
    97 D1 ZF

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

Tom thanks for the advice, it was all good. Finished wiring everything up a little bit ago and it all works as planned. Tomorrow I'll fill her with fresh diesel and give her a test run, keeping fingers crossed.

If my luck holds tomorrow I'll have some good pictures to post!

Thanks for the help guys -

1964 SIIA 109 | 1973 SIII 88 | 2000 Disco II

Series Restoration
    Buchanan Family Home
    Rover Alley